Pen case problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

xapilot

A little over a month or so ago I started trying this casting and PR blank making thing, with some success. As I made pens I put them in my case for showing off and whatever else. Well I had made a PR pen for a customer in his schools color and had put it in my case to keep it safe for a few days and so I would not lose it.

Well tonight I pulled it out of the case after a few days of it being in their and probably left in my car for a day or two in the portfolio. Tonight when I was putting it in its case to give to him tomorrow I noticed a bunch of indentations across the cap and body of the pen. At first I thought I had seriously had been on a PR high and not sanded it down all the way, but I was 99% sure that wasn't the case. The pen cases pen hold down straps had indentitated themselves into the cap and body of the PR pen.

Devastated since I had only hours left til the pen was to be unveiled to its new owner I began doing some thinking (the type that could blow up a brain) and wondered if I could reverse the process. So I pulled out another PR pen in the case and proceeded to fill the sink up with hot water and then let the pen into the pool err, sink. After a few laps I drained the sink and retrieved the pen and noted that some of the craters had subsided, so I repeated several more times. finally most of the craters had become barely noteicable so I let the other pen swim, and got it pretty close to original.

Has anyone else had this happen, and how did you fix your problem?

It sounds like the PR isn't fully cured. You can let the blank sit for a week or so to cure before turning, add more mekp, or warm it in an oven (that you don't use for food prep!) to make it cure.

I don't have an answer on how to remove a dent.

rdunn12

I would agree that is was'nt fully cured before turning.I have noticed some blanks I cast will warp if heat is applied directly out of the mold.To me that is an indication that it is not cured.And as a side note they will return to the way they were when they came out of the mold if allowed to cool a couple hours.I let the blanks sit at least a week before turning.

Top Bottom