Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

christianpenz

Hello, I'm sure this probably comes up time to time but I was wondering what people's feelings were on wooden pen boxes. I want to know different types and difficulty to do. Also what they sell for on top of the pen. Thanks !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

I offer both maple and rosewood boxes depending on the thickness of the pen. However, most people do not want them. Once in awhile a customer wants it for"presentation."

wood-of-1kind

Welcome Cristian to IAP. I agree with Eugene above with his statement that most customers do not want a wood pen box when purchasing a pen. However I have found that purchasers of higher priced pens (say $150+) are more inclined to purchase pen and box together. Higher disposable income I suppose may be part of the decision to purchase.

I sell my wooden pen boxes from $10 to $40 each depending on style on top of the price of a pen.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Are you talking about making boxes or resell commercially made ones? I make boxes and sell them for around $35.

Attachments

• image-3123585547.jpg
    image-3123585547.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 217

Houtkop

Hi Christian. I have not been turning very long and live on the other side of the world, so you can take what I say with a pinch of salt.

I can echo the sentiments of the other members that when you sell a pen, most people do not want a box due to the fact that they see it as not required, and if it is for themselfs the box will go to waste the moment they start using the pen.

For gifts, normally they want a box, but it must be a cheap compared to the pen (no more than 20%).

As to styles and difficulty to make, there are 100's of options. My personal pref is to make something that is quick and cheap to make. For the body, I cut long strips of a wood that is easy to finish, and route/rebate the pen channel. I then have these strips available when the need arises. Cut 2 pieces, glue on a contrasting end strip, use pin hinges, sand on the sanding disk and finish with a clear aerolac.

The case bellow is made from Jacaranda and PangaPanga. I add some felt to finish. My cost is less than $1 and I sell them for $3 if I convert to US$. A better comparison is that I sell it for the same price as a Big Mac (sandwich only).

Attachments

• Penbox.jpg
    Penbox.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 230

christianpenz

thanks

I appreciate the feed back and I think you are right! It may not be worth the bother. I would have to buy a router and right now that is not worth my efforts I think... thanks everyone for your help!

SteveG

I want to add another facet to the discussion. We are talking about sales strategy as we address the OP's question/issue.

I populate my sales display with a range of pen styles with an accompanying range of prices. The high end pens are priced at about a multiple of 4 to 6 times the price of the pens at the lower end (the lower end being the ones that sell the most). The mid and high end pens do sell, but at a lower rate, which is fine, in that they are there for a dual purpose:One, to get the high dollar sale when it happens and...Two, to justify in the mind of the casual shopper to buy a pen from the lower priced group. (The idea is to grab the low end buyer who would likely not have purchased anything otherwise.)

That was a statement of a sales strategy that works. Now, for the application to the self produced wood boxes. I include a low cost "presentation box" with the low end range pens. For the mid and higher cost pens (For me, any pen at $200 and above), I include the choice of any pen box on the display. The boxes on display are the ones that sell for $11 through $15 at PSI. These are very appealing boxes at a good value price to me. In comparison, I do not want to devote the time it would take me to produce pen boxes that would compete with these. I prefer to buy boxes and spend my shop time making pens.

I do have a plan in the works to offer a VERY HIGH END BOX, as a stand-alone item which will retail for about $150. I know my market, and this box will sell to the purchaser of the high end buyers, as those folks fit in the :"See it, Want it, Buy it" category, and they are not concerned about the total cost, since they have an excessive amount of the $$ needed to consummate the deal.

I hope this somewhat long winded discussion is helpful. A brief summary statement: It is not a good choice to make/sell nice wooden pen boxes. It is not cost effective vs the available commercial alternatives (such as the typical PSI offerings). [One man's opinion based on 20 years behind my pen/other items vendor sales table.]

Dan Masshardt

I appreciate the feed back and I think you are right! It may not be worth the bother. I would have to buy a router and right now that is not worth my efforts I think... thanks everyone for your help!

Whoa - you are thinking totally backward. This is the excuse you've been looking for to buy a router and a router table. ;-)

Top Bottom