Pen blank material depth / thickness question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

In2Fish

Good Day Follow Pen Turners.

Question for the experts. I've only turned a handful of pens, since about Oct last year. In the near future I want to try casting various materials in my pen blanks. Which pen kits provide for the greatest depth of material. After I've turned various pens so far (only about 10). The depth (thickness) of wood or acrylic is very thin, so unless the material is very thin as well, the risk is cutting into the material one has cast in the acrylic. Hope this makes sense.

I know that depending on how one turns a pen, either straight line between bushing, or by leaving more materials on the pen body ( a curved, convex shape), will result in different thickness. Just curious which pen kits if any provide for more depth or thickness of material

Thx,

David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

There's not much room on any of them so it really depends on the material being clear cast. The pens that offer the most are mostly 3/8" tubes like the majestic squire and Le Roi Royale at Exotic Blanks. The Cigar 10mm also offers more room.

jimgodoy

Good Day Follow Pen Turners.

Question for the experts. I've only turned a handful of pens, since about Oct last year. In the near future I want to try casting various materials in my pen blanks. Which pen kits provide for the greatest depth of material. After I've turned various pens so far (only about 10). The depth (thickness) of wood or acrylic is very thin, so unless the material is very thin as well, the risk is cutting into the material one has cast in the acrylic. Hope this makes sense.

I know that depending on how one turns a pen, either straight line between bushing, or by leaving more materials on the pen body ( a curved, convex shape), will result in different thickness. Just curious which pen kits if any provide for more depth or thickness of material

Thx,

David
It depends on what material you are casting and how you are casting it. It sounds like you want to do tube in casting? If you are attaching items to a tube like watch parts, they are generally pretty thin. If you do hit the metal it's not the end of the world, you can build up a nice ca finish. Otherwise if your casting hybrid blanks, like worthless wood or cactus or any other number of things, those things turn just fine and you would turn that material down after you have glued in the tubes.

jttheclockman

As John said and you even eluded to that all kits are thin blank oriented. Yes if you make a blank more bulbous in the middle you can cast thicker objects. But you also have to take in consideration thickness of tube covering if you are using such. Things like carbon fiber, any braidings either metal or poly, vinyl coverings and so forth. This adds to the amount of all around thickness even on the ends. This is why many times you will see watch part pens without hands on the clock faces. It gets dicey when you apply them. A good way to tell weather a kit will work for you is to check the bushing charts here in the library and they give both the tube size and bushing dimentions and you can subtract the numbers and judge for yourself. One kit and not sure if it is still made that is an all time largest area for casting is the Spring Blossom by Timberbits if they still carry it. But the cap end is one of the thinnest to cast but the lower half is huge with a tiny tube. This was done intentionally. Here is an example of such kit. I was able to cast very easily 1/8" rods in the lower section. I never did finish this pen. I was suppose to use a stainless braiding in the cap section. It is laying around somewhere. Just was not too enamored with outcome. I did one blank with straight rods and one blank with twisted rods. Another way to gauge things is to look through many of the pen photos shown and see what kits others have used and what they are casting. Good luck. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I just went to Timberbits web site and do not see the Spring Blossom listed any more. Sorry.

IMGP0011.JPG
IMGP0845.JPG

Last edited:
It's a little self serving but... We purposely made our kits with a little more meat on the bones. The Liberty kit is built on a Sierra tube but the finished pen has a wider diameter with considerably more material left on the blank. Perfect for embeds, etc. The coyote has a little less since it's a 3/8" tube but still has more room than the standard Sierra. Same is true of the Desire... Jr based kit with thicker bodies. As a pen turner myself I always thought it was silly how thin blanks got.

Top Bottom