Pen and PenTurners Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Here is what I came up (ok, plagerized from Scott last year [}:)] ) with some changes for this year.

I do have a few questions first:

What prizes do we have to offer for this? Last year it was a $50 certificate from Beartooth Woods, and 5 $20 certificates.

I am making it a little tougher by adding 5 more pens to the list and from eith the past 6 months or 1 year, what do you think?

How long should I accept entries?

Here's what I have:
The Pen and Penturner Contest

Sponsored by Ernie at Beartooth Woods

1st Prize - $50 Gift Certificate
2nd Prizes (5 of them) - $20 Gift Certificates
Last prize for the least accurate entry will be 1 dozen blanks from my stash......

This is a matching game between certain pens and their makers. I have chosen pictures of ten pens that have appeared in the “Show Off Your Pens!†forum over the past year.

The pictures will be marked with letters of the alphabet A through O. I will also list the screen-name of the penturners who turned those pens, not in the proper order of course, and they will be marked with numbers, “1†through “15â€.

To enter the contest you will need to send an E-Mail to 2008BashPenturner@penturners.org

Please put “Pen and Penturner†in the subject line (I will filter out all E-Mails that do not have that designation). In the body of the E-Mail, list who the entry is from (your screen-name), and your guess at matching the pens to the penturners. It may look as simple as this: A-1, B-2, C-3, etc.

This contest requires speed, accuracy, a good memory, and some luck. The top prize will go to the first person who enters the correct match of pens to penturners, which will be determined by the time-stamp on the E-Mail on my end. The five secondary prizes will be randomly awarded to those who enter the correct matches. Names will go into a hat and my daughter or my dog (in case she’s not home at the time) will draw. The contest will begin at 8:00 am Wednesday January 2, 2008 Central Time. I will stop accepting entries at 7:59 am Thursday January 3, 2008 Central Time.

I will announce the winner no later than 12:00 noon Saturday January 5, 2006 Central Time.

***THESE STEP MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY AS THEY ARE DESCRIBED***
Step One: Enter the contest by sending an E-Mail to 2008BashPenturner@penturers.org

Step Two: Enter “Pen and Penturner†in the Subject line of your E-Mail

Step Three: Enter your IAP Screen Name at the top of the E-Mail

Step Four: Enter your best guess at matching the Pens to the Penturners. Formated 1-A, 2-B, 3-C, etc.

Please, only one entry per person.

I also have an idea for using a dart board to pick the secondary prizes, but if I get more than 21 entries, that wouldn't work.

Also an worst guess prize will come from my stash.......

Tell me what you think!!;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

I think that is a great idea, you made it sound simple and fun. Please give me some input on the pen makers challenge.
Thanks,

Scott

That sounds pretty good! Spreading the pens out over the past year will definitely make it more challenging. I chose them over a shorter period of time because they would be easier for somebody to research out if they wanted to. But I was amazed last year at how quickly the answers came flooding in, so I must have made it too easy.

As for prizes, we will have to start divvying them up pretty soon. I'll ask Ellis to post up a list of prizes so far, and we can start figuring that out. It seems like we have lots of prizes, but they may go fast, so think carefully about how many prizes you want to give out!

Scott.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I've sent out a few more follow-up emails today, and we should have our final list of prizes fairly soon...I'd say that if I haven't heard back by Wed or Thursday this week, we likely won't hear back from any of these suppliers...

I think the only ones I'm still waiting for a final decision from are:
Woodcraft, Rockler, River Ridge Products, Pipemakers.org
(they all said they'd get back to me - follow up emails sent today)

byounghusband

Scott,
I wouldn't say it was too easy, but the search window was fairly short since it was about a month... It will be from SOYPs, so everyone won't have to go through albums 1 by 1. That might kinda suck.

I think I would like to stick with 1 grand prize and 5 secondary prizes, plus a "Missed by a Mile" prize.

Would be ok if I used my own personal email address for submissions? That way I don't have to worry about another email addy to deal with.....

Scott

Bob!

I think the way you have it set is great! Including the prizes.

If you post your actual E-Mail address on the forum, you could end up having it harvested by spammers. I posted my IAP E-Mail on a forum a couple of years ago, and now I need to use a spam filtering program as I get from 300 to 400 E-Mails a day. The thing to do would be for Jeff to use a special IAP E-Mail address to post in the forum, and have that E-Mail forward to your E-Mail. This way you don't have to do a separate E-Mail address, but it is not out there for harvesting either.

Scott.

byounghusband

Scott,
Thanks for that good bit of info. I won't use my personal email address. Either I will ask Jeff to set up a special address or ask the contestants to PM me with their responses.

Jeff,
Which would you prefer? A special email address for the Pen and Pen Turners contest that will be forwarded to me, or just have the entries PM'd to me.

Thanks!!

byounghusband

Jeff,
I already have all of the Pens and Penturners picked from the past year of SOYP's, including one or two Archived pens.

I have edited the first post here with the details as they will show when I start the contest.

byounghusband

Jeff/Scott,
Well, the entries are in for this contest and I had two guys go for the WORST guess entry to score the blanks . How should I determine which one gets the blanks?
I thought I would see how far off each of their guesses were to actual. If there guess was earlier in the alphabet, then I gave them the deifference in a negative number. If their guess came later in the alphabet than the actual then the difference was in a positive number. I added the results up and one had a "0" and the other had a "+1". Which is worse?
Any ideas?? Or is there a comparable prize to a dozen blanks from my stash?

Any ideasa would help. Anybody?

Scott

Hi Bob!

We did get a few spare prize donations of blanks, so if you want to reward both of those jokers, we could do that! Up to you. If so, it would be a package of pen blanks from IAP member Leap (Philip Townsend). Explain that we had such a hard time determining which of them actually tried harder to get all the wrong answers, that we gave up and awarded them both a prize! [}:)]

Scott.

byounghusband

Scott,
That sounds the best way. I don't know if everyone would understand how I came up with the scoring, so your story works MUCH better!!!

Thanks!! I will post up winners tomorrow and PM them to you as well to add to the Winner's List.

Top Bottom