Pau Ferro and Trim Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This was a special order for an individual in Louisiana. It was received, so I thought I can share. The request was for a Rollerball with trim rings, the base blank was my choice.

Pau Ferro blank, walnut and maple trim rings. Glu Boost finish.
IMG_1611.jpg
IMG_1610.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood128

Great work Mark. I love the trim rings...even better with veneer in the joints. If you look at pinterest.com with segmented wood/woodworking/pen blanks, etc. some of Mark's beautiful pens will pop up on the pages. Also some of my segmented blanks that I constructed many years ago.

magpens

Did someone say "the work of a pro" ?

Yeah !!! . I'd agree with that !!!!

Very lovely, Mark !!!!

@mark james

Mark, is there a tutorial on how to make those trim rings with 24 alternating colored wood segments ? .
I do have a Byrnes saw like yours but I don't know if that's what you used in this part of the process.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Did someone say "the work of a pro" ?

Yeah !!! . I'd agree with that !!!!

Very lovely, Mark !!!!

@mark james

Mark, is there a tutorial on how to make those trim rings with 24 alternating colored wood segments ? .
I do have a Byrnes saw like yours but I don't know if that's what you used in this part of the process.

Hi Mal, I have not written a library article on the trim rings. I do these on "Frankie"... my Atlas Clausing Metal Lathe skelton (No motor, no pulleys, no brain, out of the wizard of Oz!). It has a heavy duty indexing plate and a back mounted router).

I have shown these before (don't want to bore folks), but here are a few shots:

BTW: I have only been able to do 12 rings max, as the remaining material in the middle tends to "explode" with higher numbers of slots. BUT, If you make multi-layered inlays you can easily get 24, 36 colors, just in a different sequence.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0486 (1).jpg
    IMG_0486 (1).jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 140

magpens

@mark james

Thanks very much for this additional info, Mark. . If you have presented it before, I apologize for causing you to repeat. . I don't remember, and that is certainly a reflection on no one but me !! :(:):rolleyes:šŸ„µ

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
@mark james

Thanks very much for this additional info, Mark. . If you have presented it before, I apologize for causing you to repeat. . I don't remember, but that could be mostly a reflection on me !! :(:):rolleyes:šŸ„µ

I have displayed all the pertinent info in bits and pieces (at least how I do these), but have not taken the time to collate a clear thread. That would be a good day's project as the trim rings are very feasibly for others to make, but I have suspected look too intimidating for folks to try. Truly, they are well within the realm of metal lathe users who can add a palm router.

I'll work on a library article and send you the drafts to give me some feedback. Why not be productive while we hunker down!

magpens

@mark james

"I have displayed all the pertinent info in bits and pieces (at least how I do these), but have not taken the time to collate a clear thread. That would be a good day's project as the trim rings are very feasibly for others to make, but I have suspected look too intimidating for folks to try. Truly, they are well within the realm of metal lathe users who can add a palm router.

I'll work on a library article and send you the drafts to give me some feedback. Why not be productive while we hunker down! "

Sounds good . Will look forward to that . More in a PM.

Top Bottom