Partially bleached Wenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

This is another Eco Zen that came out rather interesting. I kinda like the effect, though it was definitely not what I was aiming for. This was the second, lighter, blank from a previous post. I'll put the pic in here again. I had it dyed in random colors with aniline dye. It was turned down to about the same thickness at the other one, maybe 1mm over sized, before bleaching. The difference in penetration of the bleach does show how the density can be very different even throughout the same blank. I'll have to turn them down much closer to bushing size next time for greater contrast. The color fade looks almost like feathers (watch out @JohnU, I'm coming for you! LOL, JK.)

The finish is 3 coats of GluBoost medium, "polished" with the 3 lower grits of Zona paper, then wiped with a wet towel to get the sanding debris out of the pores. I like to leave the pores "open" (CA does get down into them for protection) for a more natural feel, but once they dry from wet sanding, any dust/debris leaves them looking like they are filled with white. I can't seem to clear it with the compressor or even a toothbrush once it dries in there.

20240121_172418.jpg

20240115_111031.jpg20240121_172506.jpg20240121_172514.jpg20240121_172520.jpg20240121_172529.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

I really like it Todd. I like the transition to dark at the end.
But... from the finished product picture only, I don't think that I would have guessed Wenge.
Let me know if you figure out the white debris in the pores. I have the same problem finishing porous woods with CA, the only solution I have found is to fill the pores with CA, and that defeats the purpose of leaving it look/feel more natural.

MedWoodWorx

This is another Eco Zen that came out rather interesting. I kinda like the effect, though it was definitely not what I was aiming for. This was the second, lighter, blank from a previous post. I'll put the pic in here again. I had it dyed in random colors with aniline dye. It was turned down to about the same thickness at the other one, maybe 1mm over sized, before bleaching. The difference in penetration of the bleach does show how the density can be very different even throughout the same blank. I'll have to turn them down much closer to bushing size next time for greater contrast. The color fade looks almost like feathers (watch out @JohnU, I'm coming for you! LOL, JK.)

The finish is 3 coats of GluBoost medium, "polished" with the 3 lower grits of Zona paper, then wiped with a wet towel to get the sanding debris out of the pores. I like to leave the pores "open" (CA does get down into them for protection) for a more natural feel, but once they dry from wet sanding, any dust/debris leaves them looking like they are filled with white. I can't seem to clear it with the compressor or even a toothbrush once it dries in there.

View attachment 366797
View attachment 366798View attachment 366799View attachment 366800View attachment 366801View attachment 366802
very nice job and congrats for experimenting. As i understand it you use bleach or aniline when the tubes are turned just before final sanding. Is there a chance of grain swelling or any other problems?

sorcerertd

As i understand it you use bleach or aniline when the tubes are turned just before final sanding. Is there a chance of grain swelling or any other problems?
I definitely expect a little swelling, even after thoroughly drying, with or without the dye. I left these slightly oversized so that any swelling or distortion would smooth out when trimmed to proper size. In this case, I should have brought it closer to finished size for what I wanted to do.

The aniline dye is powder mixed with alcohol. This sample pack from Amazon has lasted me a long time. It's just put on a drop or two at a time instead of soaked in it, though soaking would work for single colors. I've used this dye for a tie-dye look on curly maple, and it does swell the wood a little.

Let me know if you figure out the white debris in the pores.
I'm sure it's the whitish sludge you see when wet sanding after applying CA, and the only way I've found to do away with it is to rinse it out immediately after finishing with the wet sanding, either with a squirt bottle and a wipe, or just go over it a couple times with a wet rag. What shows prominently in the pores here is mostly the yellow dye, because I was impatient and didn't wait for it to completely dissolve. It was kind of chalky, but that really doesn't bother me on this one. It just adds to the unique character.

Lew

Todd, I want to try your technique using aniline dyes. I looked at Hobby Lobby and there were none on the website. Looking at Amazon, there are all kinds of dyes but they are not listed as aniline. So, where did you get them from and under what brand name? Thanks in advance for the response.

sorcerertd

Top Bottom