Dip pen experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MedWoodWorx

MedWoodWorx

Ok this certainly doesn't qualify for showing off but its an interesting first attempt. I tried to make a dip pen holder for a couple of pen nibs i found at a local hardware shop. After paying a ridiculous amount of money for shipping costs i bought a packet of metal holders that work with 7mm tubes. I used a piece of black mullbery which i had laying around. I discovered later that it wasn't the ideal wood to carve details since it is rather brittle. Anyway this is the mulberry dip pen prototype, cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20221016_110606.jpg
    IMG_20221016_110606.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20221016_111233.jpg
    IMG_20221016_111233.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20221016_105937.jpg
    IMG_20221016_105937.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Kudos on these. If folks have never attempted these, they have a bit of a learning curve for the added length. I have turned only a few, but it was a fun. You did very well. Thanks for sharing.

its_virgil

Ok this certainly doesn't qualify for showing off but its an interesting first attempt. I tried to make a dip pen holder for a couple of pen nibs i found at a local hardware shop. After paying a ridiculous amount of money for shipping costs i bought a packet of metal holders that work with 7mm tubes. I used a piece of black mullbery which i had laying around. I discovered later that it wasn't the ideal wood to carve details since it is rather brittle. Anyway this is the mulberry dip pen prototype, cheers
Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Peter Adams

I do like the classic spindle turning!

darrin1200

Looks good.
Try to lower the weight on the back end. Calligraphers like light weight, to heavy (by grams) can make the really flexible nibs difficult to use. The balance should be in the hand, with the tail lying in the crook between thumb and index acting, a little, like a counter weight.

Doing these can really teach you a light touch. IIRC, the longest one I did was about 12" long and about 1/3 of the tail was under an 1/8". Any chatter, or catch at all, will cause a catastrophic failure. Keep the pampers handy. LOL

A good standard length, is about 8". You should check out Yoke Pen Company. Chris is consider the OG of the holder makers. He is always open to advise makers, and his videos are a superb resource.
Keep in mind, calligraphy holders is a whole new rabbit hole to fly down. You been warned.;)

Top Bottom