Pallet Project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fine Engineer

Fine Engineer

So my company started getting one it's supplies from a new supplier in Indonesia, and a couple of us noted that they used what looks like hardwood for their shipping pallets. So naturally we each grabbed a couple of them to see if this was a new source of great wood for projects.

It turns out that, as the saying goes, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Each pallet took about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs to disassemble and process the wood, and much of it is compromised with flaws and nail holes. The wood also has a wide range of colors, clarity, and even density. Some have the density of ebony, while other boards are nearly as light as balsa. Still an interesting exercise.

The primary species is said to be Hopea Ferrea, and looks similar to mahogany for the most part. Anyway, as a fairly simple project to test this stuff out, I designed and built this Greene and Greene inspired coat rack for my office. I'm rather pleased with the result. I don't think I'll plan on any large projects with this wood supply, but this wood might make some nice small projects or parts of others.

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpeg
    IMG_1332.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1331.jpeg
    IMG_1331.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 4DEABFE7-DF8A-4F76-B501-8E34C58776FE.jpeg
    4DEABFE7-DF8A-4F76-B501-8E34C58776FE.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Nice use. I have salvaged a couple of pallets. Enough that they are not high on my list, but know the occasional pallet still has some nice figure or exotic wood in it.

Got past trying to save every bit, pull every nail though. The rare one I do now I cut apart, leaving the bulk of the nails in the pieces I throw in the fire pit. Still a good amount of wood salvaged.

Woodchipper

FWIW, I saw a post by a retired truck driver on another forum . He stated he had seen all kinds of chemicals, etc. spilled on pallets. Consequently, he doesn't touch pallet wood. Yes, there are regulations for spills but that only works if people follow the regulations. We have a pallet builder down the road and people use it for firewood or kindling! Sorry I don't touch pallet wood.

Fine Engineer

FWIW, I saw a post by a retired truck driver on another forum . He stated he had seen all kinds of chemicals, etc. spilled on pallets. Consequently, he doesn't touch pallet wood. Yes, there are regulations for spills but that only works if people follow the regulations. We have a pallet builder down the road and people use it for firewood or kindling! Sorry I don't touch pallet wood.
I agree that as a general rule pallets are not a great source of wood, for the reasons you stated and the fact that most of them need quite a bit of work to get the wood into a condition that can be used. These are one use pallets and never got left out anywhere to get contaminated, so they are generally safe. I did have to check with a friend who is a safety expert on these as they are treated with Methyl Bromide, which I have no experience with. Looking online, some people said don't worry about it, and others said they wouldn't even touch pallets that have been treated. My friend noted that walnuts and other foods are treated with MB, so within an hour of being treated, there is no residue left, so these can be handled, machined, and sanded with no health issues or problems.

Still, one has to determine for themselves if the 'juice is worth the squeeze'.

Woodchipper

I think methyl bromide is an insecticide. I worked for a flooring company and got hardwood from SE Asia. Containers were fumigated and required to sit for a certain time. It might have been MB. I met a fellow who had a piece of mahogany that was a pallet runner. Wonder what it would cost now?
However, there are other things that get spilled on pallets. Even one use pallets can get spills. I prefer to err on the side of over-cautious.

I think methyl bromide is an insecticide. I worked for a flooring company and got hardwood from SE Asia. Containers were fumigated and required to sit for a certain time. It might have been MB.
You are correct.. I shipped to Australia frequently when still working one requirement for a container (ocean freight box) was that any wood, crates or pallets must have a fumigation certificate in cluded in the bill if lading packet... the prefered fumigant was Methyl Bromide.
When still with airlines back in '70s We also sprayed a form of the MB in the aircraft cabins on in bound aircraft that had just arrived from international destinations.

I don't use pallet wood for reasons posted here...more trouble to reclaim the wood than wood's value.

Top Bottom