Painting brass tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ndep

I would like to paint my brass tubes so that they don't show through resin blanks. I use CA glue to bond the brass to the resin blank.

What would be a good paint for my purpose? I have seen Testors mentioned but it's not clear if I should go with the acrylic or the enamel version.

If there is a better solution than painting, I'm interested in learning more.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you insist on using CA, (as I did), make sure you allow any paint to cure for several days before inserting into the painted hole.

If you don't have several days, use epoxy.

egnald

As you have seen already - I would recommend painting the holes and using epoxy instead of CA and painting the tubes. I have used spray lacquer and Testors enamel (the little square-ish bottles designed for painting plastic models). - Dave

qquake

I paint the tubes and holes with spray enamel, and color the epoxy with artists' acrylic paint (can't color CA).

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 86
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 052_205.jpg
    052_205.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 053_205.jpg
    053_205.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 054_205.jpg
    054_205.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 84

Amanap

I use my wife's fingernail polish and paint the tubes. It's very durable and she has a lot of colors so I can usually come close to matching. Sounds like most paint the holes but this method works for me.

Fine Engineer

I use my wife's fingernail polish and paint the tubes. It's very durable and she has a lot of colors so I can usually come close to matching. Sounds like most paint the holes but this method works for me.
It really depends on how clear the blank is as to whether to paint the tube or the hole. If it is very clear and the tube could be seen clearly, painting the tube will not hide the glue between the blank and the tube. That's where painting the hole is a better choice. If the blank is very opaque, then painting the tube is adequate. I just did my first acrylics, and one was very opaque so I didn't paint, but the other was very light, so I painted the tube (it was a Slimline, so the blank would be pretty thin, thus the paint).

ndep

Are you using epoxy or CA glue?

jdclaus

I would like to paint my brass tubes so that they don't show through resin blanks. I use CA glue to bond the brass to the resin blank.

What would be a good paint for my purpose? I have seen Testors mentioned but it's not clear if I should go with the acrylic or the enamel version.

If there is a better solution than painting, I'm interested in learning more.
I don't paint the tube, because it seems to scrape off in places as I put it in. But I do paint the inside of the drilled hole. I use acrylic paint and let it dry overnight

Top Bottom