oval skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Easier manipulation ... the skew does not "have to be flat" on the tool rest.

So you can more easily have the cutting edge at arbitrary angles to the lathe axis.

Last edited:

sorcerertd

I read that they were a little tricky, but it seemed to me that they should be easier to use. The sharpening thing... Thanks for that Ken. Very good to know. I'll be getting more practice as I go, but for now I pretty much suck at sharpening.

Mr Vic

I use both. Depends on which I grab and feels right on a particular day. All of my flat skews have the sharp edges rounded to prevent catches. My 1" carbon steal Shopsmith skew has a rounded nose as well. It's my go too.

And yes the oval are a pain to sharpen🤬

KenB259

Try a spindlemaster. They are easy to use and easier to sharpen. I don't see them mentioned much. I have a couple of them and they are great.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I suggest stay away from the oval. As said a pain in the butt to sharpen and if you are learning a skew then nopt the one to start with. Most flat blade skews now come with round over edges and that is what you want. This prevents digging in the tool rest.

TonyL

I just started using it again for a shear cutting (Sorby..and may buy a heavier one). I like all of the surfaces (4) that I can use before sharpening. Speaking of sharpening, I threw "caution" to the wind, and don't worry about a repeatable angle or removing too much material from one side or the other. I sharpen on a CBN wheel and hit it with a leather strop if I feel a burr (I don't like burrs , but many do). I find it a nice option to have.

sorcerertd

Round? Crap, don't throw another choice at me. 🤪
Now I'm googling that and find both rounded tip and round shaft skews.
That spindlemaster had me a little puzzled at first glance, but seeing it in use on youtube, it does look really useful and efficient!
I'd imagine folks have ground chisels into custom shapes, too.

TonyL

Round? Crap, don't throw another choice at me. 🤪
Now I'm googling that and find both rounded tip and round shaft skews.
That spindlemaster had me a little puzzled at first glance, but seeing it in use on youtube, it does look really useful and efficient!
I'd imagine folks have ground chisels into custom shapes, too.
I have the Sorby Spindlemaster - that was my introduction to HSS. It is also a nice option and easy to sharpen.

Dieseldoc

One thing about a skew, It doesn't make any difference just as long it used in a shear position. Yes I know some use it as a scraper and wonder why they get poor cuts. Check out the master of the shew Allen Lacer on You tube.

mick

I'm a firm believer in oval skews, I have several and use them exclusively. I also have a round toolrest. Between the two I feel I can manipulate the the tool and do almost anything I need with the one tool.
BTW I agree they are a pain to sharpen but with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jonkou

If you're lookin to buy your first consider a rolled edge skew by Packard. Quality M2 steel by Hamlet just not as finely finished as their signature line and reasonably priced so you won't feel too bad if it doesn't work out. If you like it you can knock off the handle and refine it on a belt sander to make it pretty.

sorcerertd

I find myself turning my rectangular skews as if they were oval skews anyway. Maybe I need to check my technique. I found this youtube video on the different types and it made a lot of sense to me. Honestly, it does sound like a small round skew would be perfect for pens.

Skew Type Comparison

Top Bottom