Straight-end or Ball-end Allen Wrench

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I performed some head stock maintenance today and completed it, but I found and excuse to buy more tools. I do have Allen-brand T handle imperial wrenches but they only a 5 inch shaft (I need at least 10", found 12" ones AND made in USA) and my sets handles didn't allow enough room inside the lower pulley cavity (just made that up!) to reach the Allen head bolts. I was able to get to them by laying the lathe on its side using a smaller shaft handle set. Forget the aforementioned.

Here is what I want to know, hopefully with sparking a debate about the existence of the Illuminati, in your experience would would buy straight or round heads wrenches?

I can buy both, but would rather not (unless you think I should) . From my limited research , I understand (from what I read) that straight is better for high-torque applications and we all know why ball/round heads come in handy. I can hit the lathe HS bolts straight as long as the shaft is long enough and 12" is long enough. Thank you and be very well!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Well, Tony, I am not going to stick my neck out about what YOU should buy !! :cool:

But I will tell you that I have both.

As you pointed out, the straight ones are good when you need high torque .... when loosening things not recently worked on.

And the ball end ones are ever-so-much more pleasant to use when the screw has already been loosened.

But having said that, I can, and you can, get by with just the straight ones. . Ball end ones are probably adequate for you and me in the first loosening operation, but I don't really trust them in really tight cases. . I have broken such in really tough cases.

TonyL

Well, Tony, I am not going to stick my neck out about what YOU should buy !! :cool:

But I will tell you that I have both.

As you pointed out, the straight ones are good when you need high torque .... when loosening things not recently worked on.

And the ball end ones are ever-so-much more pleasant to use when the screw has already been loosened.

But having said that, I can, and you can, get by with just the straight ones. . Ball end ones are probably adequate for you and me in the first loosening operation, but I don't really trust them in really tight cases. . I have broken such in really tough cases.
Thanks. ! And you can tell me what I should by....that was my question. Thank you. Have a good night.

duncsuss

Can't fault Mal's argument - if a bolt is really cranked down tight, or hasn't been moved for a long time, I try to find a straight Allen key. I've had ball-head keys slip out of the socket head when things were tight.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I don't use the ball heads on my allen keys. I'd rather fully engage a straight bit than put a round head in at an angle...I've dealt with too many rounded over or stripped heads on things in my day. I tend to shy away from the little l-keys too...I have some nice long ones with handles, and a couple of multi-sets like a swiss army knife - and a few l-keys as well...I guess I use whatever's handy when I need it! :)

Charlie_W

The longer shaft Allen/hex wrenches can twist when bolts are tight. When I can, I also use Allen/hex socket wrenches with a ratchet with an extension.
I would however, but both standard fractional and metric..... and I will stick with the straight side instead of the ball style.

1shootist

I like the rounded heads for hard to reach, at an angle bolts, like the ones which hold the saddle on to my micro mark. It is impossible to get the straight headed allen in it but the rounded head allens will fit offcentered and loosen or tighten.
With that said, i too have both kind.

MRDucks2

Same here, I have both. My go to is normally a round head as they are handy work quite easily most of the time.

When I need to put a wrench on it to try and get a stuck one loose, I use a straight one for a bit more bite and a bigger piece to pull out if I snap it.

penicillin

I have been meaning to buy a ball end Allen wrench.

Why? Because it takes too much time to attach jaws to a Nova G3 chuck with the supplied "L" Allen wrench. The supplied Allen wrench must be perfectly aligned and perfectly square to insert it into those small screws that attach the jaws. A ball end Allen wrench would cut the time in half to attach jaws to the chuck.

I have a drawer full of "giveaway" Allen wrenches. I will probably just round the end of one of them on the grinder. I should have done it ages ago.

(Off topic: I am not back. A friend alerted me to direct questions in an old thread, so I answered them and happened to notice this thread. Logging off and deleting cookies now. Bye!)

TonyL

I have been meaning to buy a ball end Allen wrench.

Why? Because it takes too much time to attach jaws to a Nova G3 chuck with the supplied "L" Allen wrench. The supplied Allen wrench must be perfectly aligned and perfectly square to insert it into those small screws that attach the jaws. A ball end Allen wrench would cut the time in half to attach jaws to the chuck.

I have a drawer full of "giveaway" Allen wrenches. I will probably just round the end of one of them on the grinder. I should have done it ages ago.

(Off topic: I am not back. A friend alerted me to direct questions in an old thread, so I answered them and happened to notice this thread. Logging off and deleting cookies now. Bye!)
Thank you; I think. I bought both but only size I needed with a 12 inch shaft. Nice to hear from you.

mick

I've actually broken the ball off a few in the past! Straight, like stated above are always best for high torque situations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rherrell

I performed some head stock maintenance today and completed it, but I found and excuse to buy more tools. I do have Allen-brand T handle imperial wrenches but they only a 5 inch shaft (I need at least 10", found 12" ones AND made in USA) and my sets handles didn't allow enough room inside the lower pulley cavity (just made that up!) to reach the Allen head bolts. I was able to get to them by laying the lathe on its side using a smaller shaft handle set. Forget the aforementioned.

Here is what I want to know, hopefully with sparking a debate about the existence of the Illuminati, in your experience would would buy straight or round heads wrenches?

I can buy both, but would rather not (unless you think I should) . From my limited research , I understand (from what I read) that straight is better for high-torque applications and we all know why ball/round heads come in handy. I can hit the lathe HS bolts straight as long as the shaft is long enough and 12" is long enough. Thank you and be very well!

The Illuminati are REAL and have been "in charge" of our government from the beginning. Our current POTUS is putting a wrench in the works and exposing them.

Does that answer your question? WWG1WGA

WriteON

T handles are must have if the area allows. I do have one ball head Allen. I like the way it quickly engages but straight edge for me. Cannot go wrong with both.

Jonkou

Have a set of both straight and ball in standard and metric, also a set of 3/8" & 1/2" drive standard allen sockets from my submarine days. Thinking about it, cant remember using the ball or sockets on shop equipment but frequently use the straights. Would use a socket and extensions if 10" reach was needed.

TonyL

Thank you. I bought both with a t handles and 12 inch shafts. I found some nice American made ones.

jttheclockman

Worked in the trades for over 43 years and have needed many allen keys and always prefered the straight ones for two reasons. One it locks better in an allen head bolt and get more torque, and two if the end does become rounded and less usable, easy to cut end off and start fresh. All my sets are straight end. I do have a few round ends that came with various kits or things where they were supplied.

Top Bottom