Ottoman Tray.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Curly

Curly

Marla bought an Ottoman to put in front of our couch. They are nice to put you feet on when reading a book but they are lousy at putting a beverage on so I made a tray that sits on top. A Quarter Sawn Oak panel framed in Bak Walnut, Boiled Linseed Oil and Paste Wax finish.

One thing I do for panels that most people don't do is to put a small dowel (1/8") in the centre of the groove on the end of the frame pieces and notch the centre of the panel. That ensures the panel is centred when I glue it up. Most people would, if anything, use SpaceBalls or bits of O-ring etc. Any seasonal movement of the panel will always be even. It isn't so important in a flat panel like this but if it is a raised panel the reveal may not be even if provision for centring wasn't taken into account. One of the pictures shows a mockup in scrap. The dowel in the finish piece being glued and trimmed flush.

Attachments

• IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4212.jpg
    IMG_4212.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4164.jpg
    IMG_4164.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Great tray Pete! I like the choice of quarter sawn oak for the panel.

Right on with locking the panel in the center. Years (decades) ago, we used to use a pin gun to lock panels in place on kitchen cabinet doors. This was before space balls came on the market.

SteveG

Nice addition to the ottoman.
I am building kitchen cabinets and am just at the point of building the cabinet doors. Already have the space balls, but might incorporate the dowel thing to register the door panels more precisely. Thanks for the tip.đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Curly

You're welcome. If you don't want the dowel to show at all drill the hole into the bottom of the groove. Then the dowel is hidden in the slot. A suggestion from a fellow on another forum.

Top Bottom