Other things we make......by accident !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OldWrangler

OldWrangler

Yesterday I decided to turn a bowl. I have had this piece of Coolibah burl for a long time and it was just gathering dust, which is not hard to do in my shop! I turned for about 2 hours and got it right where I wanted. I sanded for another 1/2 hours to make it silky smooth. When it was right at that perfection point, I started to part it off and the bottom was too thin and the outer ring flew off like a frisbee (fortunately not in my direction).

Disgusted, I went to show it to the LOML and her comment was, "it will make a neat picture frame"! And she was right as usual.

So here's the before and after of a converted accident.

Attachments

• IMG_2309[1].jpg
    IMG_2309[1].jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2312[1].jpg
    IMG_2312[1].jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

That was very creative thinking on your wife's part:good: That makes a really nice picture frame and I suspect that you may be on to a new product line. It could be hung on a wall or with the addition of a back piece of wood and stand, it could be used as a table-top frame.

Jim Smith

Yesterday I decided to turn a bowl. I have had this piece of Coolibah burl for a long time and it was just gathering dust, which is not hard to do in my shop! I turned for about 2 hours and got it right where I wanted. I sanded for another 1/2 hours to make it silky smooth. When it was right at that perfection point, I started to part it off and the bottom was too thin and the outer ring flew off like a frisbee (fortunately not in my direction).

Disgusted, I went to show it to the LOML and her comment was, "it will make a neat picture frame"! And she was right as usual.

So here's the before and after of a converted accident.

You guys are too quick to tell the truth... your story should be,"" I had this piece of Coolibah burl for a long time and it was just gathering dust, which is not hard to do in my shop! I showed it to the LOML and her comment was, "It will make a neat picture frame"! and she was right as usual (We always have to acknowledge when they are right). I turned for about 2 hours and got it right where I wanted, then I sanded for another 1/2 hour to make it silky smooth. So here's the finished product""

See now nobody knows about the accident. :biggrin::biggrin::tongue:

Oh yeah! You being a Texan, this should be automatic. Us Texans can't let the rest of the world know we aren't just ordinary people.... they all think we are demi-gods
:biggrin:

Last edited:
M

Mudder

Listen up Cadet!

First thing you need to learn is that we NEVER have accidents while turning.

I prefer to refer to them as "Design changes that happen in real time"

Here ends the lesson.

Dismissed!

Top Bottom