OT>Pain in My Hip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I saw the Dr. today, I got the news on the chronic pain in my hip, I have severe osteoarthritis and I need a hip replacement operation. The doctor said he’d performed hip replacement surgeries on better looking hip joints than mine([xx(]made me feel so much better).

He wants me to try physiotherapy along with anti inflammatory medication first for 3 months then we will reevaluate.

He said that a hip replacement lasts about 20 years and then needs to be redone. He also said having a replacement replaced as you age is less successful…so he said if I can get 10 plus more years out of the one I have now that maybe when I do have the operation the replacement will last longer and maybe by then the physics of the involved materials will improve to the point where the replacement will out live me. This is kind of unreal, I’m 47-48.

Till then it’s Physiotherapy and anti inflammatory med’s….

Is there anyone else in the same shoes as I am right now?

I guess I am still a little in shock over this...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Dang, Jim, that is some rough news! I can't relate to your specific problem, but will likely face knee replacement if I live long enough.

I did have a patient who told me that her knees were replaced in her early 50's and she did have to have the surgery done again. Some of the newer anti-inflammatory medicines are really good; I hope you find one that helps.

Not much of a Christmas present to get this kind of news, but hang in there and hope and pray for the best, as I will be doing for you.

Jim,
My wife is going through same thing.. she's just 63. There are days when she can hardly move and other days she does okay. Tonight we just got back fro Knoxville doing some shopping and she's in misery.

She's also diabetic and on blood thinners for her heart and to prevent strokes (she's already had one very minor one about 5 or 6 years ago..) Surgery is not out of the question, but definitely questionable.

Snazzypens

Mate this is not a definite answer. Please try having a go at seeing a bowen therapist. See if they can help with pelvic pain. Also glucasomine will also help some with joint pain. Email me if you want some more suggestions
bye Toni

jjenk02

Originally posted by aussie_chick
<br />Mate this is not a definite answer. Please try having a go at seeing a bowen therapist. See if they can help with pelvic pain. Also glucasomine will also help some with joint pain. Email me if you want some more suggestions
bye Toni

OK, I'll bite, what is a "bowen therapist"?

Glucasomine will help, I have a bad knee that will have to be replaced in the next year or so and Glucasomine along with the maximum dose of celebrex lets me keep moving.

M

Mudder

My dad had his right hip done at 62 and his left hip done at 70 and he was fine.

Dario

Jim,

I will try to contact an officemate who had her pelvic bones degenerate (paget's disease of the bone) but the doctor managed to help it rebuild with some injections. She had to use crotches for a few weeks but she is much better now. Not sure if the info will help you too but worth checking out.

I forgot to mention that her case was so bad, she was warned not to turn in bed abruptly because she might crack her pelvic bones!!! [:0] Her bones were described as "like moth eaten inside". Now, as mentioned earlier, she is much better.

May take some time since today is our last day of work for the year.

Hope you recover soon!

Nolan

Sorry to hear the bad news. I can sure relate as I have had 7 surgeries on my rt ankle and when it came time to discuss replacement the doctors told me I wasn't elegible because of my age. (35 at the time) for the same reason they have told you to try and hold on for 10 more years. Good luck and my only suggestion is if you haven't get a second and third opinion!!
Nolan

jjenk02

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Jim,

I will try to contact an officemate who had her pelvic bones degenerate (paget's disease of the bone) but the doctor managed to help it rebuild with some injections. She had to use crotches for a few weeks but she is much better now. Not sure if the info will help you too but worth checking out.

I forgot to mention that her case was so bad, she was warned not to turn in bed abruptly because she might crack her pelvic bones!!! [:0] Her bones were described as "like moth eaten inside". Now, as mentioned earlier, she is much better.

May take some time since today is our last day of work for the year.

Hope you recover soon!

You might be talking about a 3 series injection of a product called synvest (sp?). I have had this done to my knee two differant times, the last time was back in January. It has helped me both times I had the series of injections and last about 12-18 months.

JimGo

Sorry to hear that Jim. I have some relatives who have had hip and knee replacements (one had both!), and they swear by them. I'm in the "no surgery unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary" camp, but if/when you're at that point, the surgery can significantly reduce the pain.

Best wishes for success with just the shots!

woodpens

Sorry to hear that, Jim. My hip, at least most of it, is okay. I screwed up my back again. All I did this time was turn on the shower. When I stood up, it felt like an electric shock going down my lower back. I had a double fusion 15 years ago using a piece of my hip bone to hold three vetrabrae together. It seems things are going downhill in my back. I just got the results of an MRI yesterday. The doctor said I have severe spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal), two bulging discs and a stretched ligament around the affected joint. It looks like I may be having more surgery. I can't get an appointment to see the doctor until February unless we choose to go to the sports medicine clinic in Columbus, GA. We'll probably give that a try. I can deal with the pain, but the lack of sleep really sucks!

gerryr

Sorry to hear that. It doesn't sound comfortable. My wife's aunt had hip replacement a few years ago and get around pretty good for someone who's 89.

DocStram

Geeeezee, Jim. It must have been a shock to hear what's ahead of you. My sister went thru the whole procedure of having a hip replacement. She had it done in early November of this year.

1080Wayne

Jim For what it`s worth : Half a teaspoon a day of turmeric might have enough anti-inflammatory effect to help you . It totally eliminates my pain , although I hasten to add that I just have the beginnings of hip deterioration . Of course I started taking it because of it`s supposed ability to stave off the onset of Alzheimers . The hip benefit was an accidental byproduct . What was I talking about???? Oh yes - apparently a curry ingredient called curcumin is being investigated by U of A cancer researchers as a possible preventive and/or treatment for some types of cancer . Apparently it has anti-inflammatory properties which inhibit cancer growth . What it`s worth??? About 3 bucks for a 1 kilogram bag in the ethnic foods aisle of your local Superstore - about 2 years supply . For whatever it`s worth . Wayne

Thanks Every One,

I feel like I have some great advice and some more information that you have generously shared with me , Thank You.

I know that this type of age event happens with a greater frequency than I knew about, quality of life is important...so I appreciate that some of you have experienced pain and transition and are willing to share.

Thanks Again for your thoughts and kind words of support.[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom