Making purpleheart purple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbriski

I am making a segmented bowl/box and using purpleheart as accents. The purpleheart before cutting was fairly vibrant and purple. After cutting is much darker and not as purple. How can I get it be vibrant again when I am finished? Will UV hurt or help the cause (I have cherry in the bowl too so I was thinking of giving that a tan the strengthen the color).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Put it under a light.
Shop lite, sunlight, bud lite it doesn't discriminate.
(Make sure the bud lite is flourescent.)

Rifleman1776

They are all correct. But know that eventually it will turn dark then brown again. There was once a product on the market to arrest this change but the maker died and did not leave the forumula.

bradh

As mentioned heat and light will work and both will evenentual turn the wood dark again too.
What I do with pens is hang them off the rear view mirror of my truck with a pit of wire. I am in and out of my truck and can watch the coolour shift carefully. When the colour looks to be at it's peak, I throw them into the console out of the sunlight.
This is just a trick I use to be able to monitor the colour shift and avoid taking the colour too far. I find the mirror trick allows light to come at all sides of the wood. I spin the wire occasionally to even out the light exposure.
hope this helps,
Brad Harding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom