Oscar Tie-Dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from qquake

qquake

This is a Dayacom Oscar, in gold and black chrome, from Turners Warehouse. The blank is an inlace acrylester called Tie-Dye, from Woodturningz. I like the combination more than I thought I would.

Attachments

• 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 089.jpg
    089.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 091.jpg
    091.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 092.jpg
    092.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 155
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I like that pen very much !!! . Is it a Ballpoint ? . Seems to be by the look of the refill tip in Picture #6.

Thanks for bringing the Oscar pen kit to our attention. . It is a nicely styled kit.
I see on the website a statement that it uses the same bushings as the Jr Gent II. . That's a good thing if it's correct .... see my "worried" comment.

But I don't see instructions on the Turners Warehouse website .
Is that any problem for turning and assembly ?

Something worries me about the stated compatibility with the Jr Gent II bushings.
Which bushings ?
As I understand, the Jr Gent II Rollerball bushings are not the same as the Jr Gent II Ballpoint bushings.
So any potential buyer of the Oscar would have to be careful about which bushings to use.
Maybe , @qquake , you can shed some light on this issue, please.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Mal from Turners Warehouse:

JR Series Pen Kit Bushings
Fits kits made on the Jr Gent II platform, known kits are, Jr George, Jr Aaron, Panda, Jr Retro, Oscar Ballpoint Kit, Jr Independence, Jr Duke, Jr Lincoln, Jr Hamilton and more..

instructions:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1284/5707/files/jr_gentlemens_pen_7d889912-ea24-4f2c-aa9f-4a14ac0dc3f0.pdf?

Mal from Exotics

https://www.exoticblanks.com/bushings-jr-series.html

I say this all the time, if you are buying a new kit buy the bushings is a good idea. . Do not rely on list of kits.

Last edited:

magpens

@jttheclockman

Thanks for your interest in my "worries", John.
However, my concern is the difference between the bushings for the Jr Gent II Ballpoint compared to the Jr Gent II Rollerball/Fountain.
As far as I have been able to tell from listings on various vendor websites, the Jr G II Ballpoint and Jr G II Rollerball bushings are different.

However, in the listing on the T.W. website ... for the OSCAR they claim bushing compatibility with the Jr Gent II but don't say BP or RB.

So do you see the source of confusion ? .

The information is not complete. . Maybe I should buy bushings, but maybe my existing bushings for Jr Gent II RB are the right ones for the Oscar BP.
The T.W. website does not say whether the Jr Gent II RB or the Jr Gent II BP are the right bushings for the OSCAR.

I am hoping that @qquake will clarify about the bushings by telling what bushings he used for the Oscar ( a BP I think ) that he made in this thread.

magpens

@jttheclockman

JohnT - from ExoticBlanks - I have previous experience with the Jr G II BP and the Jr G II RB and the Jr G II FP - there are differences in bushings
I do not know which bushings suit the OSCAR. . The claim on the T.W. website that the Jr Gent II bushings work is not complete info.

Here is what the ExoticBlanks website says :-

Jr. Gentleman's (Jr Gent II) Pen Kits

Jr. Gentleman's (Jr Gent II) Pen Kits.
The popular Jr. Gentleman's Rollerball features well-balanced and classic styling. We carry it in ballpoint, rollerball and fountain versions.

copied from : https://www.exoticblanks.com/jr-gentlemans-Pen-Kits/

qquake

The Oscars are the only "Jr" pens I've ever turned. I ordered the bushings from Turners Warehouse at the same time as the kits. I remember I was confused by the bushings, so I made a cheat sheet and labels for each of the four bushings. I always make a "registration" mark on the blank for two body pens, so I know which end is which. I always position blanks on the lathe so the wider end is to the left. Does this help?

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 125
  • bushings01.jpg
    bushings01.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 111
  • bushings02.jpg
    bushings02.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 115
  • bushings03.jpg
    bushings03.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Oscar Bushings.pdf
    238.9 KB · Views: 165

magpens

@qquake

Yes, what you provided is a PARTIAL help and PARTIAL answer ... THANK YOU. Is this pen a BALLPOINT ?

I will need further clarification, but let's start there, Jim.

jttheclockman

Mal, why don't you ask Ed, carries both styles or if you are serious about getting this kit just buy a set of bushings if you use them but from what I understand you do do not even use bushings so what are you worried about. As you see Mal this is not a capped pen so it is a ballpoint. Maybe if you want to expand your thoughts you can go to the charts and look up both JR Gent II rollerball and ballpoint and give us the tube sizes and the bushing measurements. I also believe Timberbits had a different Jr Gent kit also so maybe include that one.

https://www.turnerswarehouse.com/products/copy-of-oscar-ballpoint-pen-kit-dayacom-kit

Last edited:

magpens

@qquake

Thanks for your reply. . I apologize for pushing that point. . I failed to read the kit title on the Turners Warehouse listing specifying "Ballpoint".

It now seems from the pictures that you show that the bushings for the Oscar are NOT the same as the Jr Gent II bushings.

For the probably obvious reason, I have continued this discussion with you in a Private Conversation.

Thanks again, Jim.

This is a Dayacom Oscar, in gold and black chrome, from Turners Warehouse. The blank is an inlace acrylester called Tie-Dye, from Woodturningz. I like the combination more than I thought I would.
Great looking pen - kit and blank look amazing!

Was this your first time turning inlace acrylester? Thoughts of it versus other types of blanks?

qquake

Great looking pen - kit and blank look amazing!

Was this your first time turning inlace acrylester? Thoughts of it versus other types of blanks?
No, I've turned a fair amount of it over the years. When I was still using HSS chisels, I hated turning it. Avoided it like the plague. But since I've been using a carbide chisel with a "shearing" cut, I've had much better success.

Top Bottom