Opinions please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

While browsing around Joanne Fabrics, waiting for my wife,picking out fabrics, I came across this stuff called Washi tape. Gears started turning and I wondered if I could incorporate this stuff in making pens. I tried it on a piece of Purple Heart, inset in in a slight groove, my parting tool is the exact width of the tape I bought. I turned out fine, put a ca finish on it, it's very smooth, you cannot feel a transition whatsoever. My concern and question is, will it make a pen look cheap? I wouldn't ever try it on something high end. My wife commented that she thinks it would look great on seam rippers as it has a kind of fabric look. Thoughts? IMG_2800.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I can see it may have its place on some light colored wood or acylic as an accent piece. But what makes it so noticable is the edge from the parting tool and transition to the tape. We know it is not true segmented. Even if you used just as tape then you have the reverse look. As I said maybe some steam punk blank or as others have said a knitting needle, or seam ripper. Good luck and you will run into this all the time now. Constantly looking at things and trying to see in your mind if they would work on a pen blank. You are hooked. :):):)

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I agree with the other John T., less transition from the wood to the ribbon. Good idea to offer something different. There are some penturners that do decorative thread wraps like you would find on custom fishing rods. My wife and I go to Hobby Lobby just to see what is on sale or new. Joann's is about a 35 minute drive so we don't get there often as we would like. They have great sales but only last for about three days.

TonyL

Agree with all of the above, However maybe the folks that buy seam rippers will accept them as they are - they may appear perfect to them. In my experience, I have find myself much more critical of my own work than my clients. Thank you presenting and much success with the concept!

KenB259

The image i posted is just a proof of concept thing, it is not an item of use. It is just a piece of scrap wood to see if the Washi paper could be of use in a future project. It seems like maybe that wasn't clear. In any case I am thankful for all observations.

magpens

I think it looks really good !!! . I have wanted to try something like that so you have encouraged me to do so. . Don't hold your breath, but I will !

What about the seam ? ... Is it on the back (hidden) side ?

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Looks great. I wish you better luck than I had.

My wife took washi tape and placed it directly on the tubes and I cast it in Alumilite. Made this pen with it. Had it in my inventory for 4 or 5 years with. I was asking $60 for it. She claimed it for her own this past year.
IMG_1243[1].jpg

KenB259

I think it looks really good !!! . I have wanted to try something like that so you have encouraged me to do so. . Don't hold your breath, but I will !

What about the seam ? ... Is it on the back (hidden) side ?

I overlapped the tape and then carefully cut across the overlap with an exacto knife then removed the underlying piece as well as the overlap and literally you can't even find where they meet.

Last edited:

bsshog40

I think if you got the depth down for your parting tool and if these were darker colors, it would fit very nice on a pen. They look pretty good for just playing around with it. I love experimentation!

I think it looks great the idea is fantastic. I can only assume that this product is not sand-able and that the parting tool needs to cut a very thin inlet? My wife drags me into Joanne's when we go to town. I'll have to look at this stuff. Thanks for sharing.

KenB259

It is not sandable and the groove I cut is extremely shallow. I would guess that it is about .010 under the surface of the wood and then I just filled in with thick ca. Sanded that down and then proceeded as normal.

Mortalis

Couple suggestions
Taper the sides of the groove slightly to meet the tape before applying CA
Or
Use a "V" groove that the tape does not fill completely and the edges of the tape are slightly proud of the surface. Apply CA and level the edges once the CA is dried after a few thin coats.
I like the idea and think it looks good.

KenB259

Couple suggestions
Taper the sides of the groove slightly to meet the tape before applying CA
Or
Use a "V" groove that the tape does not fill completely and the edges of the tape are slightly proud of the surface. Apply CA and level the edges once the CA is dried after a few thin coats.
I like the idea and think it looks good.

I'll give it a try, thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom