Paul in OKC

Well darn.

Attachments

• 4EE24508-BAA1-49C7-9131-36933CAD0FB1.jpeg
    4EE24508-BAA1-49C7-9131-36933CAD0FB1.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

That is what I am afraid of in making kitless without tubes.
Educate me , So kitless pens don't use some kind of tubing ?
How do you keep a pen that has about 500 segmented pieces in it not break if it doesn't some kind of support ?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Educate me , So kitless pens don't use some kind of tubing ?
How do you keep a pen that has about 500 segmented pieces in it not break if it doesn't some kind of support ?
Some kitless ball points do, but most kitless fountain pens do not. The strength is built into thicker bodies in some cases, and selling to a finer clientele who take care of their pens, not forcing the threads or griping too tight to pressing to hard in writing.

Bryguy

Been there, done that. Unfortunately, I'll probably go there and do that again. It's called living on the edge! It is also how we learn. Push the boundaries!

duncsuss

Paul - I can't be certain from the photo, but it looks like that's a nib section you'd screwed into a piece of acetal/Delrin to hold it for shaping.

If so - what are the dimensions you were working with?

Seems there is enough wall thickness in that cylinder to hold provided you take light cuts and don't get a catch (of course, that depends on the material). What tool were you using?

Had you relieved the first couple of threads in the opening to allow for incomplete-threads where the tenon meets the body of the section?

Paul in OKC

Paul - I can't be certain from the photo, but it looks like that's a nib section you'd screwed into a piece of acetal/Delrin to hold it for shaping.

If so - what are the dimensions you were working with?

Seems there is enough wall thickness in that cylinder to hold provided you take light cuts and don't get a catch (of course, that depends on the material). What tool were you using?

Had you relieved the first couple of threads in the opening to allow for incomplete-threads where the tenon meets the body of the section?
You are correct. Was making a holder to do just that. And yes, I did relieve the first bit so it would shoulder up. I just went to give it a snug, and snappo! I am going to up my section thread a notch. This one was 7/16-20. Will probably go to a 14mm as it's the closest next bigger size.

farmer

Some kitless ball points do, but most kitless fountain pens do not. The strength is built into thicker bodies in some cases, and selling to a finer clientele who take care of their pens, not forcing the threads or griping too tight to pressing to hard in writing.
Thank you
after posting my question I went and read what you guys consider a kit less pen .
In the kit less pen section
Its really not that big of deal
The very few pens I have made are mostly kit less and segmented anyway.

Thank you for your answer

Paul in OKC

You are correct. Was making a holder to do just that. And yes, I did relieve the first bit so it would shoulder up. I just went to give it a snug, and snappo! I am going to up my section thread a notch. This one was 7/16-20. Will probably go to a 14mm as it's the closest next bigger size.
I meant 12mm, as it is between 7/16 and 1/2".

duncsuss

I meant 12mm, as it is between 7/16 and 1/2".
That still seems kind of large; I'd expect 9mm or 10mm - most of mine use M9x0.75 threads to hold the section in the barrel, and with a 1/4" hole in the middle for the ink cartridge/converter there is still enough wall strength in most materials I use (acrylic acetate, Alumilite, ebonite, Cebloplast ...)

Which makes me wonder: (a) what diameter is the hole you drilled out for the ink reservoir?

And (b) what material is this?

Paul in OKC

That still seems kind of large; I'd expect 9mm or 10mm - most of mine use M9x0.75 threads to hold the section in the barrel, and with a 1/4" hole in the middle for the ink cartridge/converter there is still enough wall strength in most materials I use (acrylic acetate, Alumilite, ebonite, Cebloplast ...)

Which makes me wonder: (a) what diameter is the hole you drilled out for the ink reservoir?

And (b) what material is this?
Hole was probably a bit large at .281 where the cartridge would go, minor diameter on the thread was around .350-ish? I'm sure if I went with a finer thread there would be a bit more thickness. Material is bowling ball, so some sort of resin. It's not as strong as Alumulite I don't think, but is something I been playing with.

duncsuss

Hole was probably a bit large at .281 where the cartridge would go, minor diameter on the thread was around .350-ish? I'm sure if I went with a finer thread there would be a bit more thickness. Material is bowling ball, so some sort of resin. It's not as strong as Alumulite I don't think, but is something I been playing with.
I don't think in TPI and hadn't done the conversion from 20tpi to metric - it would definitely give more wall strength if you go to something like 30 or 32 tpi (which are much closer to the 0.75mm threads I normally use).

Somewhere I read that bowling balls used to be made from ebonite - but I don't know if that's still true. The other factor is that if it's been used, there might be some stress fractures which don't cause trouble until you try making a thin-walled cylinder.

I hope you have better success with the next try đź‘Ť

Paul in OKC

I don't think in TPI and hadn't done the conversion from 20tpi to metric - it would definitely give more wall strength if you go to something like 30 or 32 tpi (which are much closer to the 0.75mm threads I normally use).

Somewhere I read that bowling balls used to be made from ebonite - but I don't know if that's still true. The other factor is that if it's been used, there might be some stress fractures which don't cause trouble until you try making a thin-walled cylinder.

I hope you have better success with the next try đź‘Ť
I have run across a couple that I think were ebonite. I think most are an acrylic or PR of a sort.

Top Bottom