One way drill wizard - cross drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

I have been looking at the oneway drill wizard to use for cross drilling. I have a jet 1221 vs lathe. The oneway seems to use a one inch post size. Is there a 5/8 inch post version?

If not, what system do you use for cross drilling. I want to do it in conjunction with my lathes indexing.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Ed (Yo Yo Spin) used to be a member here and he used on to do some pens and various other items with it. Inlay Turnings

No it does not come with a smaller post and at times many times it is too long and needs to be cut down. Not all drill motors fit in it. I believe the 1220 is too short to use this because it can not get to centerline. I have one with intentions of using but my lathes are 1014 and 1220 and I believe I looked and it did not fit outside of the post will not fit. I was going to make an adapter to reduce to 3/4" but that would have raised it even higher so that was out. There have been people here who have made their own system and it worked. I would say do a search here for those. Many people use their metal lathes for drilling holes. I do not have a metal lathe and do all my work on wood lathes and can accomplish many different things.

I use a router and platform because it gives me alot more flexibility to do things. I not only can drill holes but also make slots for segmenting. If you want to read about my setup there was a thread in the segmenting forum titled My Jig. I warn you though that using a router is something you need to be familiar with. I am in fact doing a little tweaking with my jig because I will be making a few more pens with it in the near future. I am currently working on 5 pens and a project for my brother but it will be something I want to do before I switch from making pens this year.

Last edited:

TonyL

I just saw this. I ask the demonstrator if his lathe was a 1221. I have 2. I would like it for drilling holes around the blanks to full with crushed stone/powder. Thank you for the post and I will get back to you if he answers me.

https://youtu.be/-EkdpZw8w10

jttheclockman

Attachments

• Copy (2) of IMGP0924.jpg
    Copy (2) of IMGP0924.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Copy (2) of IMGP0937.jpg
    Copy (2) of IMGP0937.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Copy of Copy of IMGP0897.jpg
    Copy of Copy of IMGP0897.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 136

Talltim

If you want to read about my setup there was a thread in the segmenting forum titled My Jig.

Apparently I am too dumb to accomplish the search. I tried all of the methods I knew and could not get it to come up.

Maybe someone smarter than me can find it and post a link.

Charlie_W

While I have not tried this process other than with a hand drill, I would think the router would be the best for pens. The high speed compared with the drill and shorter bits should make for a more accurate /cleaner drilled hole. Router bits which will end cut should work.
A Dremel or flex shaft rotary tools can work for small bits. Just need to make the jig/cradle for the tool to hold it level, square and have the ability to slide in and out a bit. Drilling at an angle or off center ...or a combination of both can create some interesting ovals.

dogcatcher

This is like the one that I made. Drill Guide

How has the UMHW block held up to wear?

I used a homemade block, recycle code 2 that I made out of plastic, I han no problems with wear. Made one for my son, we used a block of maple and drilled a small "oiler hole" to drip oil in. His is still in use after several years. I also made an indexable holder to fit my drill press, sort of llike the indexable feature that Sherline has for their mill. https://www.sherline.com/product/3200-indexing-attachment/

For homemade recycle block, look up homemade HDPE.

MRDucks2

While I have not tried this process other than with a hand drill, I would think the router would be the best for pens. The high speed compared with the drill and shorter bits should make for a more accurate /cleaner drilled hole. Router bits which will end cut should work.

A Dremel or flex shaft rotary tools can work for small bits. Just need to make the jig/cradle for the tool to hold it level, square and have the ability to slide in and out a bit. Drilling at an angle or off center ...or a combination of both can create some interesting ovals.

They actually have a plunge-router type of base for rotary tools. Picked one up at a Home Depot in Texas. I know it works with Drexel and buffalo brands.

dogcatcher

I just saw this. I ask the demonstrator if his lathe was a 1221. I have 2. I would like it for drilling holes around the blanks to full with crushed stone/powder. Thank you for the post and I will get back to you if he answers me.

At the 7:41 mark, the drill looks like it tilted as it was drilling. Makes me wonder if these things are really stable enough for doing inlays.

jttheclockman

At the 7:41 mark, the drill looks like it tilted as it was drilling. Makes me wonder if these things are really stable enough for doing inlays.

They just clamp around the collar so one point of attachment. Easy to add some zip ties to secure a drill of that size. I have never gotten a chance to actually use it because my lathes are not big enough. This was suppose to be an attachment for the One-Way lathes. Thus the same color and name. As I said YoYoSpin has used it and has a video using it on his web site.

jttheclockman

Here is the other method using a drill press.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/824355-post1.html

That is where I got the idea to use my Sherline indexing attachment to drill holes. I prefer this system, because with a tilting vise, I can create ovals by drill in at about a 45 degree angle.

Yes and this is what I was getting at on my question back
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/drill-press-indexing-jig-157689/

I was trying to buy a cheaper version on ebay from China but they kept refusing my bid even though they said make an offer. I hate when sites do that. So I gave up and have not pursued it.

I too can drill any angle I want on the lathe with the router because I can angle the platform. At some time in the future I will be adding some templates so that I can do template routing also off that same platform.

Last edited:

Jolly Red

If you check on David Reed Smith's site, he shows how to make a drill guide that fits in the banjo. Since you make it yourself, it can have any size post.

TonyL

The publisher of the video said the lathe that the device is attached to is a Jet 1441.

Talltim

I believe he has something if my memory serves me well.[/QUOTE]

You have a memory like an elephant. I went and looked at his vendor forum. There is a picture at the end that looks like it could be the creature, but I do not see in it in his current materials.

I am going to post in his thread and see.

jttheclockman

I believe he has something if my memory serves me well.

You have a memory like an elephant. I went and looked at his vendor forum. There is a picture at the end that looks like it could be the creature, but I do not see in it in his current materials.

I am going to post in his thread and see.[/QUOTE]

This topic came up years ago and there was talk he was working on something back then I do not remember the exact thread but you maybe able to do a search for it.

Top Bottom