One piece stopper with star

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chuck Key

Chuck Key

Sorry, I am on a stopper kick. This one is a one piece [strikeout] acrylic [/strikeout] PR with O-rings from Lowes.

STOPSTA1.JPG

STOPSTA2.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Chuck great idea. You may have opened a whole new theme. You say you are new to the casting thing but it came out flawless. What did you use as a mold??? Did you use a pot??? Maybe you can give us a little highlights of your method to cast this piece??? Thanks.

Chuck Key

What did you use as a mold??? Did you use a pot??? Maybe you can give us a little highlights of your method to cast this piece??? Thanks.

The mold I use is a recycled plastic bottle from an auto parts store. I found one I liked for shape and purchased the bottle. Gave the contents, engine treatment, to the sales person and took the empty bottle home. I do not use a pot and mix the PR in a cup and pour it into the mold. Nothing special.

Here is another one with a little detail on the stopper end.

STOPSTA3.JPG

jttheclockman

Chuck

You definetly are onto something there. A couple of questions, have you done any studys as to the effect wine or other alcohol beverages would have on the resin and vice-versa??? Also can not believe you do not use a pot and get crystal clear no bubbles blanks. What is your secret??? What ratio are you using and is there a set time before you pour??? Are you using vibration to release the air bubbles. I only experimented one time with making a couple blanks and came away with tiny bubbles that can be seen in the clear more so than colored. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

John T.

airrat

Chuck those look great, nice effects.

You said you are using o-rings from lowes. If you are selling these I would look into o-rings that are safe for food use.

Chuck Key

Chuck those look great, nice effects.

You said you are using o-rings from lowes. If you are selling these I would look into o-rings that are safe for food use.

I am interested in your source for safe O-rings. I used O-rings that are sold for use in potable water supplies in the US and around the world. If they are not safe I need to change out the plumbing in my house too.

Some one also asked about the use of PR. One of the Chemists on the casting forum concluded is ok to use and compared the properties to some of the material used in the fast food industry. If it is not safe then use of the material in pens would seem to be a greater risk.

Skye

How did you jam chuck a cone? (the idea of holding things with just the headstock always baffle me for some reason!)

Chuck Key

1. Used a Beall collet holder. Just the part with the 1x8 threads with no collet or nut. The holder has an 8 degree taper.

2. Wrapped a piece of fomy around the cone area on the stopper and snugged it up in the Beall.

3. Used a dial indicator to true up the stopper pushed it a bit further in the taper. Re checked with dial indicator and did the final turning.

I also have a vaccum chuck set up for stopper shapes that will not fit in the Beall set up. Basically it is just a matter of coming up with something that will fit the piece you are turning.

Top Bottom