Going For A Coffee Break

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

This is the first of four kits that I got to make some turned coffee mugs . The instructions said for advanced turners but it really wasn't all that hard and I am certainly not in the advanced category. . If I can do it anyone can do it but don't make it your very first turning project . . . LOL
This one is in elm and it has 5 coats of fast drying Minwax polyurethane then buffed with the 3 stage Beall system and then two coats of carnauba wax .
The knot hole was not right through . Only about half way . I filled it with finely ground coffee and epoxy.
Comments welcome as usual .
W.Y.
339413396.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

At first I thought it was something to do with a Euro CB. It's hard to get perspective on it. Is it like the mugs you carry in your car? Maybe hold it in your hand a shoot a pick.

I too had not seen a coffee mug turned. That is a great idea. Nice job. Is it heavy?

fshenkin94

mug

Nice mug. What kind of gouge do you use to hollow out the center? I'd like to make one, but am not sure that I have the right tool. I have bowl gouges, skews, a parting tool, and a rounded scraper. Will those get the job done?

W.Y.

I just used hogged it out with my home made Oland tool and cleaned it up with a round nose scraper .
Be sure to use a steady rest on end turning like that unless you are making very light cuts.

W.Y.

W.Y.

Thanks for posting a link to the Oland Tool before I got back here.
That is where I got the info to make my own..
Here is a direct link to the page.
http://aroundthewoods.com/001page01.html

I made mine the same but instead of the rope handle I made it with wood by turning it on my lathe .

W.Y.

304711073.jpg

W.Y.

Made another one yesterday. Not as pretty a piece of wood as the last one but it was easier to make the second time. This one is just a piece of birch from the firewood pile. yep . . . used the good ole' Oland tool again . :wink:
It was hard to get a picture without a glare even in the shade with no flash because five coats of gloss polyurethane plus a buffing makes a very shiny and durable surface. .
W.Y.
BirchMug.jpg

Top Bottom