Olive Vase, Kalbarri style.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

I was given the wood from 2 Olive trees growing in Kalbarri, the cost being my arms, chainsaw and trailer. The trees were still quite young, 13 - 15 years, so there is not a lot of colour. One of the trees had been lopped previously and this branch had a heap of shoots from the end and I thought it might be interesting to see what happened on the lathe.

It is 11.5 inches tall and 4 inches diameter, and hollowed as far down as the top of the bulb. I wanted to have some base weight for maximum stability.

It is finished with Shellawax "Glow" and was sanded to 400.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.
C & C welcome.

Bob:)

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 198
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That's gorgeous, Bob.

What's your method for holding a long piece like that while you hollow out the inside?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That's gorgeous, Bob.

What's your method for holding a long piece like that while you hollow out the inside?

I made my own Centre steady out of ply and skateboard wheels. It can support about 5.5 inch pieces, should have made it bigger.

Works quite well.

Bob.:)

Thanks Bob. I haven't done any long hollow forms yet, but I was kinda thinking about making something like that with skateboard wheels. Would you mind posting a photo of your setup?

robutacion

Hi Bob

The wood looks from the "plantation" olive trees and if so, they never grow much heartwood because they are created to don't produce much wood, stay fairly low to the ground, grow lots of fruit and the more "elastic" to allow mechanic harvesting, those machines shake the hell out of the trees, old type Olive trees wouldn't do too well with all that shaking...!

Still, the wood does offer good characteristics for turnings that are elongated such as those vases, and the price of the wood was good so, a win, win situation...!

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

That's gorgeous, Bob.

I made my own Centre steady out of ply and skateboard wheels. It can support about 5.5 inch pieces, should have made it bigger.

Works quite well.

Thanks Bob. I haven't done any long hollow forms yet, but I was kinda thinking about making something like that with skateboard wheels. Would you mind posting a photo of your setup?

Hi Edgar, I can't find the photos, and will be away for a couple of days so will send or post when we get back.

Bob

Bob Wemm

Hi Bob

The wood looks from the "plantation" olive trees and if so, they never grow much heartwood because they are created to don't produce much wood, stay fairly low to the ground, grow lots of fruit and the more "elastic" to allow mechanic harvesting, those machines shake the hell out of the trees, old type Olive trees wouldn't do too well with all that shaking...!

Still, the wood does offer good characteristics for turnings that are elongated such as those vases, and the price of the wood was good so, a win, win situation...!

Cheers
George

Hi George,
They would have bought the plants at a Nursery, so I guess you are correct. A couple of the trunk pieces are about 12 - 14 inches in diameter, and I think I can see a bit more colour in that wood. Here's hoping.

Bob.:biggrin:

OZturner

Beautiful Vase Bob,
I love the Thin, Wall Thickness you achieved.
Is that a glimpse of light in the 3rd photograph, on the back wall in a Knot?
It is pretty thin, over a knot surface.
Excellent Finish.
Great Work,
Congratulations,
Brian.

robutacion

Hi Bob

Cheers
George

Hi George,
They would have bought the plants at a Nursery, so I guess you are correct. A couple of the trunk pieces are about 12 - 14 inches in diameter, and I think I can see a bit more colour in that wood. Here's hoping.

Bob.:biggrin:

It also depends on the type terrain that Olive grove was planted on, the oldest plantation Olive tree I ever cut was a 40 year old tree, in fact, I didn't cut it as such, the whole grove (about 600 trees) were bulldozed out after 40 years, according to the owner, they started producing less fruit after 30 years, he decided that the cost of maintaining the grove was no longer worth it and so, they were ripped out.

I was told of the piles of olive wood trees ready for burning, I took my trailer and chainsaw to collect the biggest pieces I could reach, average of 15" to 20" diameter on their short trunks, I was allowed to take as much as I wanted but, I have had bad experiences with these plantation Olive trees and the lack of heartwood so, I was sceptical but willing to give it a go, not because I was/I'm short of Olive wood but from the simple fact that, I hate to see trees being wasted/burnt particularly Olive trees.

I selected some of the bigger trunks I could see and made the cut just above the root, 2 in every 3 trees had less than 1" heartwood, I kept cutting until the dirt/soil blunted the chain (didn't take long), I had maybe 1 dozen of cuts made, put the chainsaw in the back of the vehicle and left empty handed, was no point...!

Now, not all Olive plantation trees are the same (species) so far, I failed to score any of these trees with worthwhile heartwood so, I wish you the best of luck and if you get frustrated with it, I have plenty of logs that are 2/3 or more heartwood, and pieces that are 100% heartwood...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

Beautiful Vase Bob,
I love the Thin, Wall Thickness you achieved.
Is that a glimpse of light in the 3rd photograph, on the back wall in a Knot?
It is pretty thin, over a knot surface.
Excellent Finish.
Great Work,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Hi Brian,
I did apply some CA over the knots as I worked, so yes, that is a clear piece through the knot.

Top Bottom