Honoring A Code Talker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

My wife and I teach a Native American Culture class at our local community college. We recently had the opportunity to have Samuel Tom Holiday come to the college to talk about his experiences as a Marine Corps Code Talker in WWII. Sam is 90 years old and has an incredible story to share. He comes from Kayenta, AZ.

To thank him for his service as a Marine Code Talker, i made a cedar plate, inlaid with a turquoise band and 4 large turquoise stones set at each direction. His delight with the plate made it all worthwhile. The plate was presented in the traditional way - wrapped in red trade cloth and tied with sinew.

In the attached pictures, Sam is dressed in his Code Talker uniform — a red hat depicting the United States Marine Corps, turquoise jewelry representing the Navajo sacred stone, a gold shirt symbolizing corn pollen, with a patch on the arm denoting the Fourth Marine division, light-colored pants signifying mother earth and shoes the color of abalone which is also a sacred stone. He shared his childhood and experiences as a code talker.

Attachments

• Samuel Tom Holiday.jpg
    Samuel Tom Holiday.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 418
  • Sam Holiday 1.jpg
    Sam Holiday 1.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 308
  • Sam Holiday 2.jpg
    Sam Holiday 2.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
John, This is an excellent recognition for Sam! Your attention to honor him for his service is wonderful.

As I have recently played with Turquoise in-lay, your work is great for me to see!

Be Well!

Mark

elkhorn

Thanks, Randy!

Mark, I appreciate the comments. It was a privilege to do this for him.

Jim, it was humbling to listen to his story and his sacrifice.

elkhorn

Tim, thank you!

Bob, thanks for the kind words. Yes, the Code Talkers were a very important part of the US war effort in the Pacific. The dichotomy is that most of the Code Talkers were sent to the Indian boarding schools, where they were forbidden to speak their own language. Then we turned to them and asked them to speak their language. They are a very brave people.

elkhorn

Cody & Tom: thank you for your appreciation of Sam Holiday's service.

Ben, well said.

My thanks to all who appreciate Sam Holiday, the other Code Talkers, and all of our Veterans and their families for their service and their sacrifice.

OZturner

Brilliant Work, John,
Paying Tribute to such a Wonderful and Worthy Person.
Your Platter was Fantastic, the way that you Gave it the Uniqueness for the Person and the Occasion.
Glorious Work.
Congratulations and regards,
Brian.

elkhorn

Thanks for your kind words, Brian. Sam is a very quiet and humble man. It was a privilege to make it for him.

Top Bottom