Old Style Nova G3 Chuck / Penturning Bundle $179 - Rockler Flash Sale Ends Today (28 April 2022)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

I got another email this morning from Rockler with a "Flash Sale" ad. The sale ends today (Thursday, 28 April 2022).
Regular Price: $199, Sale $179.

I have been reluctant to post this, because the deal appears to be a hidden sell-off / closeout of the Nova penturning chuck bundle with the old version of the G3 chuck (Nova part number 48265). It tightens "backwards" (lefty-tighty, righty-loosey). I have one, it works well, and I like it. They have sold countless numbers over the years. Here is a link to the sale, which ends today (Thursday, 28 April 2022):
https://www.rockler.com/nova-g3-chuck-pen-turning-bundle-1-x-8-tpi

Nova explains the differences between this older version on sale and the new version of the pen kit bundle (Nova part number 48306):
https://www.teknatool.com/products/...thread-1-x-8tpi-sku-48306-replaces-sku-48265/

These Nova G3 chucks fit ONLY 1 inch x 8 TPI headstock threads. If your lathe has 3/4 inch or 1-1/4 inch headstock threads, this chuck will not fit!

The Nova G3 chuck penturning bundles include (for penturning):
  • Nova G3 Chuck
  • Pen Plus jaws
  • Mandrel saver
They also include 50 mm (2 inch) jaws and a woodworm screw for turning small bowls. Nova sells many additional jaws in various types, so you can use it to turn larger bowls and turn other projects. I have a set of 100 mm (4 inch) jaws, for example.

I use the Nova G3 chuck and the Pen Plus jaws for drilling pen blanks on the lathe. To drill on the lathe with this G3 bundle, you must also buy a Jacobs chuck (typical drill bit chuck), which is not included. The Jacobs chuck fits in your tailstock taper (usually MT2 taper). The Jacobs chuck holds the drill bit straight and true, using the tailstock to press it in slowly while the pen blank is turned by the lathe using the G3 chuck with the Pens Plus jaws.

Repeating: This is an okay deal at best, but it may help get someone started.

Top Bottom