Oak Platter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from monophoto

monophoto

This was something of a milestone for me.

I recently replaced my ShopFox 1704 'starter lathe' with a more substantial 12" Turncrafter Commander, and wanted to do something to prove to myself that I had acquired enough skills with the mini-lathe to justify moving up to the larger machine. I had a factory-second oak cutting board that I picked up at a wood supplier a few months ago, and decided to make the largest plate that I could make using that board - which is nearly the largest piece that I can spin on my new lathe.

The final product is 11" in diameter, and about 1/4" thick.

I started with a glue-block on what would be the top of the finished piece. I opted to turn a tenon on the bottom that would have to be removed later, but I anticipated that my Cole jaws wouldn't open wide enough to grip the finished piece. So while the blank was still on the glue block, I turned away the center of the tenon, and left a centering dimple. Then, when the time came to finish the bottom, I used the tailstock cone center to press the plate against a circular block of MDF mounted on a faceplate while I removed the outside of the tenon, leaving only a 'button' in the middle of the bottom as decoration.

Finished with pure tung oil.

Attachments

• Oak plate-s.JPG
    Oak plate-s.JPG
    879.2 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Teeball

The piece came out very nice. Now you must feel justified in moving up to a bigger lathe. You proved it. :good:

Top Bottom