November 2017 PITH Pictures. Show us watcha got!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

preacherman

Well the bar is set high for this exchange. Seer sent me this beautiful Jr George roller ball with a fountain nib also in the package was several awesome blanks that I cant wait to turn. Pen is dressed in Desert Ironwood. Absolutely gorgeous pen and my photo is just a quick snap with the cell phone. I'll add another when I get out to the shop later in week.

PITH 2017.jpg

Thanks Jerry!

Cotton

Wow! The pressure is on! Tom aka: tomtedesco sent me a .30 Cal Bolt Action pen made from remnants of a friend's walnut tree casted in PR. But wait there's more he also sent a matching bottle stopper! Then on top of all that some very cool blanks, one of which the wife has claimed for a new seam ripper.

Thanks Tom!

Attachments

• D5F44797-E396-4401-9D52-5CC2D85B2500.jpeg
    D5F44797-E396-4401-9D52-5CC2D85B2500.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 472
  • C1516D2E-B208-4996-B97F-9F018E4CBB48.jpeg
    C1516D2E-B208-4996-B97F-9F018E4CBB48.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 446

bmac

Got mine

Received my PITH exchange from bjbear76 yesterday. A great looking pen made with wood from the Shawshank Tree featured in the movie "The Shawshank Redemption", which in my opinion was a great movie. Also several blanks that will make excellent pens.
Especially the cast blank, which are the school colors of the school where my wife worked.
The pen that I sent bjbear76 was made from wood that came from the tree that was the namesake for the school, "Live Oak High School". The tree had to be taken down because it was dying and had become a safety hazard. It was estimated to over 200 years old and the removal was a very sad day for the community and alumni that had attended the school.

Another great PITH exchange, they keep getting better and better.

bmac
Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• PITH Pen.jpg
    PITH Pen.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 434
  • PITH Blanks.jpg
    PITH Blanks.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 409

bjbear76

Here's the pen I received from bmac. As he described in a couple posts above, the wood came from an old live oak that had to be taken down. Unbeknownst to Bobby, I had helped my parents clear their property of downed live oaks when hurricane Ivan went through the Pensacola area. I'd often thought about all that wood going to waste. Well, now I have a beautiful pen made from that species.
The pen box that the pen came in is made from spalted hackberry. The craftsmanship on both the pen and box is just outstanding.
Also enclosed were some spalted hackberry, live oak, and a piece of sinker cypress dating back to the 1800's.
I sure am glad I was part of this PITH. Thanks again Bobby.

Attachments

• 20171108_113316a.jpg
    20171108_113316a.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 414
  • 20171108_113354a.jpg
    20171108_113354a.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 350
  • 20171108_113248.jpg
    20171108_113248.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 390

Flynny

November 2017 PITH Pictures

Today got my "stuff" from Mike 4066
When I say WOW that is an understatement
of the largest kind!

A beautiful rollerball dressed in Buckeye burl "from the Buckeye State".
And six of the nicest blanks I could hope for.
Banksia Pod and Alumanite; Shark vertebrae + Alumanite; Blue dyed Maple burl and Alumanite; Mini pine cones in resin; Sweet gum pod in resin and a stabilized blank of historical wood from the Thomas Lee house in CT ca 1660.
All blanks cast and stabilized by my benefactor - Mike 4066. I have not gotten into casting ad stabilizing so these mean a lot to me.

View in Gallery

Flynny

Crappy Pictures

This picture does n justice to the beautiful things I received - Sorry Mike and members. And I used the good camera.

DavidD

I'm breaking the rules and posting photos of both the pen I sent and the pen I received. I think you'll quickly understand why...

Jason (Aces-High) and I swapped.

Both pens arrived same day, and we had no communication prior. We are both from the same general area in Colorado, so maybe there's something in the air?

Hard to believe, huh?

Thanks to Jason for a beautiful pen.

Top pen:

Local aspen wood, recycled beer can, black paperboard

Bottom pen:

Local cotton wood, local willow, local walnut, copper shingle

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 4.54.08 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 4.55.50 PM 1.jpg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm breaking the rules and posting photos of both the pen I sent and the pen I received. I think you'll quickly understand why...

Both pens arrived same day, and we had no communication prior. We are both from the same general area in Colorado, so maybe there's something in the air?

Hard to believe, huh?

Top pen:

Bottom pen:

View attachment 169297

View attachment 169298

Both Knots are excellent! A great exchange. Well done to both.

flyitfast

PITH Swap Package

WOW!! Just got my PITH swap package from "swap buddy" zig613/Wade.
What a treasure!!
A beautiful Jr. Gent II pen dressed in a Black Ash Burl blank which is a species found in Eastern Ontario. It is used by the Mohawks of Akwesane in making black ash splint basketry.
The pen, along with blanks of birdseye maple, white ash burl, curly maple, boxelder burl, and white oak burl made up a sensational swap package.
Thank you Wade - all will be enjoyed. :good:
Gordon

Attachments

• 65a346753f9dada6-photo.jpg
    65a346753f9dada6-photo.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

zig613

Xmas Arrived Early!

Yesterday I received my swap pen from Flyitfast/Gordon and upon opening the box all I could say was WOW! The pen was a Zen rollerball dressed in Texas Mescalbean (also known as Mountain Laurel), a shrub tree native to Texas. My photo doesn't do justice to the colouring and the grain of the wood. The long barrel of the Zen is a great match for such a beautiful wood. Included with the pen was an array of native Texas wood (Texas elm, Spanish oak bur, mesquite, splated pecan, and one of El Mostro's famous blanks).

Thanks Gordon! Now its time to head for the shop to turn some Texas wood.

Wade

Attachments

• DSCF1639.JPG
    DSCF1639.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 382

Loucurr

My actual swap partner Lou ( Loucurr) and I had a great swap as well and also send a beautiful pen have never seen anything like it and was very impressed thanks for a great pen swap
7995abef5ea4872fce833d0a6ee7e1b1.jpg
bd8b616dcc171ca7dd89e3be88b40ad3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I had fun making this pen and wanted to embrace the local wood concept. The middle "eye" is NIP encapsulated by local palm and then camphor. All segments were separated with copper.

Thanks for a great swap.

SpecialV4213

I'm not sure I have the words to express the delight I am feeling over my new pen and blanks. This beautiful mesquite burl and aluminum with Bors d'arce is amazing! Don't even get me started on these wonderful blanks. IMG_0012.JPGIMG_0013.JPGIMG_0011.JPG
Thank you Emery for this gift that I will treasure for a lifetime.

jennera

Wow! Rebecca just receive her pen from Mr. Vic along with some goodies. We might need some help identifying the nuts(?) that were sent. Rebecca says shes seen them before but we do not know what they are.

The pen is beautiful and I hope Mr Vic can let us know what technique he used. It looks to be a very nicely done inlay.

We just shipped his pen and goodies this morning and hope he enjoys them as much as Rebecca likes hers!

Thanks!
b94f406750e1eb58d2237d5883eeba57.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Noot17

I received mine from Mark (markjames) earlier this week. It's amazing! Thank you, Mark.

I also got two segmented blanks, and some royal poinciana and coconut palm, which are what the pen is made from (including coconut palm end grain for the finial cap). Mark and his family consider the Grand Cayman as a home to them, and that is where the woods are from.

Thanks!
Eric

P. S. Mark, yours is ready to be shipped as soon as the post office opens. I didn't intend on going up to the last minute, but that's how it goes sometimes...

3db8d55fa864cfd1b5101bf2dfb58bc2.jpg

38dacb0fbb8a30d4948d5a6a13c1969e.jpg

Aces-High

Hard to believe, huh?

Top pen:

Bottom pen:

View attachment 169297

View attachment 169298

Thanks for posting those David! We'll have to post another when we get together at your shop!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I received mine from Mark (markjames) earlier this week. It's amazing! Thank you, Mark.

I also got two segmented blanks, and some royal poinciana and coconut palm, which are what the pen is made from (including coconut palm end grain for the finial cap). Mark and his family consider the Grand Cayman as a home to them, and that is where the woods are from.

Thanks!
Eric

P. S. Mark, yours is ready to be shipped as soon as the post office opens. I didn't intend on going up to the last minute, but that's how it goes sometimes...

3db8d55fa864cfd1b5101bf2dfb58bc2.jpg

38dacb0fbb8a30d4948d5a6a13c1969e.jpg

The Royal Poinciana came from Wood128 in Florida (difficult to import wood from the caribbean), and I had the Coconut Palm in my stash. Both timbers are vibrantly seen in the Cayman Islands. Someday my signature will list this as my home...

Royal Poinciana Tree:

View in Gallery

Skeleton2014

Here's what I got from Cody (Cwalker935)... he said it was local to the Richmond area and some from his property. Some nice walnut blanks, which is one of my favorite wood, some maple, a couple of ?? blanks, and two very nice pens.
Jeff

Attachments

• NOV17PITH10.jpg
    NOV17PITH10.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 258
  • NOV17PITH9.jpg
    NOV17PITH9.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 259
  • NOV17PITH8.jpg
    NOV17PITH8.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 283

Mr Vic

Wow! Rebecca just receive her pen from Mr. Vic along with some goodies. We might need some help identifying the nuts(?) that were sent. Rebecca says shes seen them before but we do not know what they are.

The pen is beautiful and I hope Mr Vic can let us know what technique he used. It looks to be a very nicely done inlay.

We just shipped his pen and goodies this morning and hope he enjoys them as much as Rebecca likes hers!

Thanks!
b94f406750e1eb58d2237d5883eeba57.jpg

The package arrived today and I didn't get to open until 9:30 tonight as I had to attend a Water Association Board meeting.

The pen is modified European made from Aspen and feather Inlaid with Cedar/Juniper, The goodies are Tagu Nuts, African Blackwood, Philippine Acacia, Australian Koa, Spalted Pecan and Spectra Ply. All but the Blackwood were from my previous swap stash. Can you guess who the Pecan was from?

Rebecca sent me a beautiful Triton Convertible made from Sinker Cypress and an Ornament from Texas Ebony along with some other goodies to include a fridge magnet with a Texas Longhorn cow on it. Kinda late so pictures tomorrow.

Thanks Rebecca the pen is awesome and writes smooth.

Mr Vic

Simply Awesome

Okay, Here are some terrible pics of my PITH Exchange with Rebecca.

The pen is a Chrome Convertible Triton dressed in Sinker Cypress. My pictures don't do the pen justice. If you're like me you'll have to Google the wood but I'll save you the hassle. Sinker Cypress « Bruner Lumber It's Cypress that was floated down the river to the mill but sank before it got there. When recovered, what's left is the very dense heartwood.

attachment.php

Usually when I get or make a new fountain pen I'll remove the nib and feed to flush/clean of any manufacturing oils. I was surprised to find the cartridge installed so I just put pen to paper ->

attachment.php

I was pleasantly surprised as the flow was good and smooth in all directions. This is the stock kit nib and writes great.

In addition to the Beautiful Pen she sent along some Texas woods... Can wait to figure out what to make with them.

attachment.php

And take a look at the cool Texas Ebony Ornament...

You all better watch out come BASH time! This little lady will give us all a run for our money.

Attachments

• A Convertible Triton_1.jpg
    A Convertible Triton_1.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 546
  • Penand Writing Sample_1.jpg
    Penand Writing Sample_1.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 504
  • The Stash_1.jpg
    The Stash_1.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 564

jennera

The pen is a Chrome Convertible Triton dressed in Sinker Cypress. My pictures don't do the pen justice. If you're like me you'll have to Google the wood but I'll save you the hassle. Sinker Cypress « Bruner Lumber It's Cypress that was floated down the river to the mill but sank before it got there. When recovered, what's left is the very dense heartwood.

attachment.php

Usually when I get or make a new fountain pen I'll remove the nib and feed to flush/clean of any manufacturing oils. I was surprised to find the cartridge installed so I just put pen to paper ->

attachment.php

I was pleasantly surprised as the flow was good and smooth in all directions. This is the stock kit nib and writes great.

In addition to the Beautiful Pen she sent along some Texas woods... Can wait to figure out what to make with them.

attachment.php

You all better watch out come BASH time! This little lady will give us all a run for our money.
I am glad it wrote so smoothly when you received it. We did not plan to ship it with the ink installed but this was the first fountain pen Rebecca has made and she had it all assembled with the fountain tip and cartridge before we had a chance to tell her to wait. We talked about removing the cartridge before shipping it but thought it would be ok. The triton kits had been ordered before the PITH and were waiting on the right wood and then I read somewhere they were one of your favorites. The sinker cypress was a new wood for her so it took a couple of attempts for her to get everything just right.

Thanks again for the exchange! She is continuing to learn and grow her skills. She has a few orders to fill and then hopes to have time to try bowl turning before the FIRST robotics season starts! Just maybe she will get to use the metal lathe or CNC machine.

Jennifer

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am glad it wrote so smoothly when you received it. We did not plan to ship it with the ink installed but this was the first fountain pen Rebecca has made and she had it all assembled with the fountain tip and cartridge before we had a chance to tell her to wait. We talked about removing the cartridge before shipping it but thought it would be ok. The triton kits had been ordered before the PITH and were waiting on the right wood and then I read somewhere they were one of your favorites. The sinker cypress was a new wood for her so it took a couple of attempts for her to get everything just right.

Thanks again for the exchange! She is continuing to learn and grow her skills. She has a few orders to fill and then hopes to have time to try bowl turning before the FIRST robotics season starts! Just maybe she will get to use the metal lathe or CNC machine.

Jennifer

We've had some absolutely beautiful pens shown so far in this PITH, but I have to say, not only was the pen that was made by Rebecca awesome , but the way that Vic portrayed it, just knocked it out of the park. I think that's made it my personal favorite anyway.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

I came home from a Thanksgiving trip to find Jeff's (Skeleton2014) package on my front steps. Jeff put the hat back into PITH by sending me a Seahawks hat two beautiful pens and a hidden knife key ring. One of the pens used a blank featuring Seahawk colors. To top it all off, Jeff sent me a ton of fantastic blanks.

I will wear the Seahawks hat proudly since Russell Wilson is from Richmond and Kam Chancellor and Duane Brown both starred for my Virginia Tech Hokies.

Thank You Jeff!

3A56B848-DA29-4FD5-A688-A2036CD40DAB.jpg

294208CE-0797-4288-9156-13C8F12D3BA3.jpg

hippi

nov pith

got my package from Mitchell (Bedangerous) the other day
really nice pen made from a house that built 1904 and destroyed in Super Strom Sandy it was a White Oak steep the kit is a Exemplar from craft supplies

Attachments

• DFE_0371.jpg
    DFE_0371.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 240
  • DFE_0372.jpg
    DFE_0372.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 245

Brotherdale

Got mine from Leo S Long a week or so ago. A beautiful light maple on a Stratus. Plus a few blanks, one (Lacewood) of which I immediately turned into a pen.
Thanks Leo the finish on the pen is amazing. I think I need lessons.

Attachments

• 25D08E80-0DBD-4E0D-92F4-587C329C6847.jpg
    25D08E80-0DBD-4E0D-92F4-587C329C6847.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 253

Leo S. Long

I got my pen from Brotherdale a couple weeks ago. Love the pen and can't wait to turn the dyed blanks. Did not send picture sooner because I missed placed the blanks, thought I may have accidentally thrown them out! But found the last night.

Thanks again Dale

Brian G

I apologize to Rounder for the delay in uploading a photo of the fantastic Vertex Click Pen, Spalted Pecan blanks, and Mesquite blanks he sent.

The pen is beautiful, with turquoise inlace filling in some voids. The fit and finish is perfectly done.

Thank you, Randy!

PITH112017.jpg

penmaker1967

got my package from my partner today was a very nice cigar pen with a few nice blanks as well as a Christmas oriment which the wife has already claimed. (lol) thank you so much edgar I am unable to post pics due to not having a camera right now so I asked my partner to post them when he got a chance

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am finally getting caught up on my IAP chores. :redface: Apologies to Eric (Noot17), for the delay in posting.

So, although I love to dabble and explore segmenting - truth be told... my typical carry pen and table-top pen will be a simple nice wood pen with an awesome grain.

Eric sent me a wonderful grained pen of Sappy Pine, on a Compson Click. I have read of problems working with Pine due to the sap, but obviously Eric has this issue licked - it is a beautifully finished pen.

Although I have been remiss in posting this for about 2 weeks, the pen has not left my side (Ssshhh, wifey is coming... need to hide the pen!).

This is GREAT Eric! Thank you and for the blanks as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 260

Noot17

Thanks for the kind words, Mark!

Turning it was a breeze, as was finishing, but sanding it was a pain! It gummed up all of my sand paper (I sanded the corners prior to turning, and use an offset sanding jig for squaring it up).

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks for the kind words, Mark!

Turning it was a breeze, as was finishing, but sanding it was a pain! It gummed up all of my sand paper (I sanded the corners prior to turning, and use an offset sanding jig for squaring it up).

I'm a pen turner! I can see flaws... This pen is excellent - be proud, and I will wear it out! I love how it feels, ink flows, and the grain of the blank. I am very appreciative.

BTW, these PITH's are wonderful! Thank you to David (Hopco).

Top Bottom