Nova G3 wobble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

I bought a Nova G3 a month ago. I love it and it seems to work sufficiently but I am noticing a wobble that I am afraid is too great to proceed with. For small things, it is OK, kinda, but I am wanting to delve into bowl turning and am worried that on a bigger scale, it will be unusable.

Has anyone else encountered this with a G3? It is mounted on a Shopsmith so I am wondering if it is in the conversion piece.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Shopsmith is well known for being a bit (quite a bit on mine) light on the shaft bearings. I did the bearing retrofit, but it was not long lasting.

Probably not the chuck from my experience.

Carl Fisher

Does the chuck wobble or is it run out at the jaws?

Make sure you put the jaws on the correctly indexed locations. If you look at the back of each jaw, they will be labeled 1 thriough 4. Make sure those line up with the index number on the chuck.

lorbay

Also if you have an adaptor on the chuck make sure it is bottomed out to the mating surface on the shopsmith. Can't be any gaps there.

Lin.

Krash

Shopsmith is well known for being a bit (quite a bit on mine) light on the shaft bearings. I did the bearing retrofit, but it was not long lasting.

Probably not the chuck from my experience.

I'll check that but I use the drill chuck with no problems.

Krash

Also if you have an adaptor on the chuck make sure it is bottomed out to the mating surface on the shopsmith. Can't be any gaps there.

Lin.

I don't see any wobble on the headstock spindle.
I have the jaws indexed correctly.
The spindle adapter is bottomed out against the mating surface.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Krash

Lin.

OK, on second look, maybe the adapter wasn't firmly against the mating surface. I'll give it a try and see how it performs.

Thanks!

robutacion

I have a G3 and I also have had the wobble problem since day one, it all comes from the adapter, some are OK and some just are not. I tried to make slight modification on mine but none resolved the problem totally so, I tried the specially made plastic washers for chucks that have this sort of problem, as since then, I manage to keep it running true and when it starts wobbling, is time the reverse or replace the plastic washer.

I purchase a bunch of these washers from someone, I can't remember who, I know they come from overseas (USA) but, a quick search on the issue produced Amazon as one of the places from where you can get them from, here it is Anti-Lock Lathe Spindle Washer 1-1/4" - Power Lathe Accessories - Amazon.com

Make it tight but not excessively..!

Hope this helps...!

Cheers
George

Krash

Cool, thanks George.

I did just purchase another newer Shopsmith and the G3 seems to work a lot better on the new one. Maybe it was the mating surface. Not sure. But, the washers sound like a good idea.

robutacion

Cool, thanks George.

I did just purchase another newer Shopsmith and the G3 seems to work a lot better on the new one. Maybe it was the mating surface. Not sure. But, the washers sound like a good idea.

Well, the plastic washers, have a double function, help the chuck to run true and, prevent the chuck to jam, and if you have never had this happening before, pray to God that you will never experience a proper chuck jam, because the busher wasn't there..! it is a job from hell, sometimes...!

Cheers
George

Culprit

I went through 3 Nova G3's before I got one that ran true. Also for a Shopsmith. I just kept calling and mailing them back.

siric

I just got one and have the same problem. What I realised is that with the set screw installed it happens, but if I remove the set screw, remove the insert and then reinstall (without the set screw), it is fine.

On checking I realised that the set screw is screwing down on a thread rather than between or behind the threads. On examination, I found that the thread was actually damaged and I had to file it.

So I have stopped using the set screw (I believe from the instructions that it is mainly for usage when the lathe is in reverse) for now.

I emailed Teknatool and they advised that the insert should be right up against the chuck (which it is).

Will take a video and some pics and send to then so see what they say.

Steve

Top Bottom