Nova Comet II problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

I purchased a new Nova Comet II last year for a second bench top lathe. On Sunday I was turning a mill. I stopped to check my work and when I pushed the button to turn it on, it didn't spin. I checked the power cord and outlet, everything was fine. I put my hand on the wheel and it started spinning. I shut it off and tried again. Same results, it would only start when I turned the handwheel. Any idea as to what might be the problem with it?

Thanks,
Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Start capacitor?

I agree with Sam - don't think the DC motor in a variable speed lathe needs a starting capacitor.

I occasionally have the same issue with my Turncrafter. Seems to happen intermittently when I try to start it at the lowest end of the speed range. I just switch it off, raise the speed setting a bit, and restart it and it works fine.

I'm inclined to think this could be either a brush or commutator problem, but it's so intermittent that I haven't spent a lot of time troubleshooting.

Dehn0045

don't think the DC motor in a variable speed lathe needs a starting capacitor.

I think you're right -- I didn't realize that the Comet II is VS. I am so used to working with my non-VS lathe that I forget that VS exists 🤦‍♂️

Gary Beasley

Ive heard of that happening when the rotor starts developing shorts or dead spots. If the motor stops with the brushes on that spot it cant start. Ive seen it most often on old car starters. If its not the brushes, clean the commutator. Worn commutators sometimes need the insulators between the segments cut down below level to give them new life. If this fails its time for a new rotor if its available.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm a little confused from the discussions above - is it VS or not? I thought the Nova Comets were VS.

That said: That is a sometimes characteristic of the Variable Speed electronics that come with some VS lathes. I'm not sure what is on the Nova.

Usually it has to do with dust in the switches or switch setting. As Louie said, cut it off, change the setting and turn it back on. A little aggravating but it works. I have had my VS for about 12 years now. I go for a year or two with it happening regularly and then a year or two it works fine. I blow it out with compressed air regularly and spray it with contact (electronic) cleaner on occasion (once a year or so.)

Top Bottom