Not a pen, but worth showing off... (FibreResin)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronPotter

Hi,

I am pretty happy with how this turned out. It is my first bracelet (and I actually turned it on the mandrel before parting it off).

I glued in a 10mm tube and set it up using a whole heap of spacers.

Anyway, I thought that it was worth posting to underline that the compressed fibre and resin technique can be used for other things too.

My partner was very impressed (which is saying something as she is my biggest critic - except maybe for myself)...

20065225054_Bracelet2.jpg

Cam

NOTE: the inside is still rough as my Dremel was out "visiting" when this bracelet was finished...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Originally posted by angboy
<br />Very nice!!! What is the material it's made out of? Something that comes in pen blanks? It'd make a really interesting pen.

Check out his tutor here:

http://www.penturners.org/content/CompressedFibreBlanks.pdf

There is also a link on the Home page. [;)]

angboy

Mudder, that's just not the answer I was looking for. I wanted an answer that went something like "go to such and such website or call such and such company and ask for blank number such and such. That's my idea of how to make/get a pen blank! [}:)][}:)]

I had actually looked at your article before Cam, and it just kind of looked overwhelming to me! So if you ever decide to start selling blanks you make like this, let me know! [:)][:)]

CameronPotter

Thanks fellas.

To answer some questions:

1. I am keen to sell some of this stuff, but right now I am in Australia - although I will be moving to the States later in the year. I also need to get set up properly to make bigger runs if it is going to be economical - it takes FOREVER.

BigRob, are you talking about the bracelet or the background? The background is vinyl on a desk, the bracelet is a material that I made myself. Mudder thoughfully posted the link earlier (thanks).

The inside diameter is about 7cm (maybe slightly smaller) the outside is about 9cm which makes the cross sectional width of the bracelet approximately 1cm wide.

I have an idea of how to make this stuff in a more appropriate shape for bracelets, but I will test it out first then post results (although I need to find a way to get the resin to set in the cold weather we are having here...)

Cam

M

Mudder

Originally posted by angboy
<br />Mudder, that's just not the answer I was looking for. I wanted an answer that went something like "go to such and such website or call such and such company and ask for blank number such and such. That's my idea of how to make/get a pen blank! [}:)][}:)]

Oh..... I guess I made a mistake in answering your question.

I'll not make that mistake again where you are concerned [:(!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom