Nibs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anthony,

Sounds great!! Monday being Memorial Day, I won't be on-line, but I will get on here Tues-look forward to the info!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by penworks
<br />
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br /> I am a lefty and my paper looks like it has been attacked by a swarm of termites if I write with a fine point.

Sorry Shane, the first batch is just a fine writing grade. Due to the quantity neded to order, I had to draw a line someplace. I noticed, most fine writing grades are so close to a medium, you really cant't tell the difference.

Some other suggestions, you can start practicing writing righty [:D] or take a hammer and smash the nib till it looks like a broad [:D]

Anthony, I don't know how many women you dated before you were lucky enough to get your wife to marry you, but suggesting that someone use a hammer and smash a nib until it looks like "a broad" is really not a proper idea to propose here. [:D]

nilsatcraft

I'm actually not sure about the 18K nib. It wasn't mentioned so I don't know if they're being considerred but I think the nibs we're looking at are steel nibs. Also, like DCBluesman said, if it were profitable to sell the nibs for $1.50 then we would- but it's just not something we carry. Sorry, Mac!

driften

Originally posted by nilsatcraft
<br />I'm actually not sure about the 18K nib. It wasn't mentioned so I don't know if they're being considerred but I think the nibs we're looking at are steel nibs.

A selection of steel nibs is fine if they are good nibs, but what the "real" FP collectors want is 14k if they are writing with them. The 18k nibs just cost more but don't peform better. I would say steel is fine for many customers. I also think part of the problem is that if we are trying to enter the $200+ market we have to have solid gold nibs.

Originally posted by nilsatcraft
<br />I'm actually not sure about the 18K nib. It wasn't mentioned so I don't know if they're being considerred but I think the nibs we're looking at are steel nibs. Also, like DCBluesman said, if it were profitable to sell the nibs for $1.50 then we would- but it's just not something we carry. Sorry, Mac!

Nils, Thank you for the response. I hope that suppliers reading this thread get the impression that there is a big interest in expanding the repertoire of available nib choices. And of course when I say big, pen makers live in a small universe.

What I cannot figure out is, why there are no less expensive nibs are out there. You can go to several dozen web sites and buy antique nibs, gold nibs of various degrees of gold content. You can send a pen to someone and have an antique nib fitted to it or a new nib fitted to it. But you can't simply purchase a inexpensive steel nib, gold plated, that come in the very inexpensive pen kits that we use.

There is some company, some place making the dang things by the barrel full but you can't purchase them. It makes no sense at all.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
These gold pen nibs aren't the golden business opportunity they might appear to be.

What would it take to get started?? The math isn't all that difficult. From what I have researched, we would need a minimum order of 300 nibs in any size. To fit all of our various needs, they would have to be available in 4 different widths that fit at least 3 different feeders. That adds up to an order of 3600 nibs at about $8 each, and an initial investment of almost $30,000.

I'm not willing to risk that kind of money based on the few people who tell me they might buy a few nibs. I don't think the Verdors are either.

Now Russ, that makes a whole lot of sense.

That still leaves me wondering why I can't buy some inexpensive gold plated steel nibs like the ones that come in pen kits. They are stamped as made in Germany there isn't more than one or two major makers of pen nibs in Germany. For the pen kit trade, as I have said, they must make them by the barrel full. But unless you buy a pen kit you can't get one and that just doesn't make any sense.

Not talking about any special made pen nib just a few of the ones that are already being made.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />That still leaves me wondering why I can't buy some inexpensive gold plated steel nibs like the ones that come in pen kits.
I don't mean this to sound patronizing, but maybe you need to take a step back and look at the market with a broader mind. One pen turner does not constitute a market. I can't see all that many people buying just steel nibs. Especially, when they <b>are</b> available, in a slightly higher level assembly, and for the kind of money most people can afford. I can tell you where you can buy steel nibs from the OEM in Germany. But, it takes a $500 minimum order to get them into the US. That's a fair number of nibs. But not enough for a company to set up distribution, and at the low markup you're looking for. Maybe you want to invest $500+ to get your hands on a few nibs, and sell the rest. You won't get rich form that [;)] Believe me, you can't sell them for $0.50-$1 if you are ordering in the small quantities $500 implies. I bought some steel nibs from Germany, to practice with. They cost considerably more. And the $ has taken a nosedive since then...

Perhaps you are right Rich.

Take a look at Item Number 6534790631, currently on Ebay.

It is a fountain pen. It has a buy it now price of $3.00 on it. It has the very same nib in it that is on the Baron pen that is in my pocket. If that whole pen can be sold for $3.00 the nib can't be worth more than a few cents.

If you will look at all of the items that seller has listed you will see quite a few $3.00 fountain pens, listed with ink converters included. Check out what just ink converters cost from our suppliers.

And no, I wouldn't spend $500 for nibs. I only want about 10 of three different line sizes. But a company that sells pen making supplies has a much wider market than I do and it might just be a profitable item for one of them.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />Take a look at Item Number 6534790631, currently on Ebay.

It is a fountain pen. It has a buy it now price of $3.00 on it. It has the very same nib in it that is on the Baron pen that is in my pocket. If that whole pen can be sold for $3.00 the nib can't be worth more than a few cents.
That's a dumping price, Mac.

And you must grant the supplier some profit. Without that there's be no supply at all... The smaller the item, the higher the profit has to be, because they do not sell millions.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've been writing all night with my Baron (Berea nib) and have exchanged the nib with the quite reasonably priced CSUSA Jr Gent nib assemblies (fine, medium, broad and calligraphy). A very simple screw-in, screw-out. If I thought this eBay supplier was as reputable as CSUSA, I'd take a bunch at that price. Dump away. I like that we have choices from our suppliers...not perfect yet but a far cry from what we had last July!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
[Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />

It is a fountain pen. It has a buy it now price of $3.00 on it. <b>It has the very same nib in it that is on the Baron pen</b> that is in my pocket.

How do you know this is the same nib that is on the Baron pen.. the seller just gives his description of the nib (for what it is worth on eBay), but at that price and the price of the other items he is selling, I really have a hard time believing those are quality pens with quality parts...
Like Lou said, If I thought they were of the same quality as CSU or Arizona Silhouette, I would buy a bunch and resell them... but I really doubt they are of the same quality..

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />
[Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />

It is a fountain pen. It has a buy it now price of $3.00 on it. <b>It has the very same nib in it that is on the Baron pen</b> that is in my pocket.

How do you know this is the same nib that is on the Baron pen.. the seller just gives his description of the nib (for what it is worth on eBay), but at that price and the price of the other items he is selling, I really have a hard time believing those are quality pens with quality parts...
Like Lou said, If I thought they were of the same quality as CSU or Arizona Silhouette, I would buy a bunch and resell them... but I really doubt they are of the same quality..

Tom,
I looked at it. It is plated exactly the same way, two color. It has exactly the same stamped design on it that is on the Baron nib. It has the exact same words, in the exact same font in the exact same place.
Mac

Now I know what that guys deal is. I bought the pen for $2.99. With shipping and handling the total is $8.95. I asked if he would sell me five more for $2.99 and include in one shipment. He declined. Said if I wanted any more they would be $8.95 each.

There is no ebay commission on the shipping and handling charge. So you drop the price on the item and make it up on the S&H cost. Interesting but still not the solution to the problem of plated steel nibs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom