Nib Stuck In Section

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

I've made two kitless pens so far. I'm using Ebonite for the sections. Both times, when I snugged up the nib/feed (Jowo #6), it locks in and won't come out.

The first was on the finished pen and I didn't realize until I went to show someone how it comes apart. I left it in.

Now the one I'm working on grabbed hold on the nib while I was fitting it. I got it off using far too much force. Now the tines are not aligned.

Is this common? Is lubricant required on the threads? Is Vaseline a good choice?

Thanks for feedback,
Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

I have had this issue before, and I have done a few things to avoid it. Rubber gloves on your hands helps remove stuck sections, there are also wrenches made for nib/section removal. In general, with ebonite I find threads to be tighter and sometimes need to alter your drill bit if you continue to get "tough" threads after doing the following:

1) add some relief behind the threads on your section. I do not do this on my cap threads, but do it with my section. Some do not like this approach, but it helps me from getting my sections stuck.
1685966627161.png

2) Make sure to chamfer the barrel end where your section is screwing into the barrel.

3) Make sure your tap is running pretty straight from your tap holder. Sometimes if the angle you use to cut threads is off a bit, the threads get very tough.

4) polish your tenon well before you thread. Carefully and slightly polish your ebonite threads after threading as well.

darrin1200

It definitely should not be that tight. It sounds more like something is a little off.

Can you tell where it's getting tight? Is it while pushing it into the section, tight hole? While turning it into the threads, Thread depth or hole size? Is it when you get to the little step at the top of the housing (Jowo nib set)?

Are your threads cutting all the way? ie are you using a bottoming tap, so that you get full depth threads all the way?
maybe go up a smidge with your drill bit size.

darrin1200

It definitely should not be that tight. It sounds more like something is a little off.

Can you tell where it's getting tight? Is it while pushing it into the section, tight hole? While turning it into the threads, Thread depth or hole size? Is it when you get to the little step at the top of the housing (Jowo nib set)?

Are your threads cutting all the way? ie are you using a bottoming tap, so that you get full depth threads all the way?
maybe go up a smidge with your drill bit size.
My turn in easily, and I apply a small dab of silicone grease to the threads at final insertion.

jalbert

:
1) add some relief behind the threads on your section. I do not do this on my cap threads, but do it with my section. Some do not like this approach, but it helps me from getting my sections stuck.
View attachment 354839
This is possibly the worst place to make a thread relief gutter since the wall thickness is typically minimal. Counterboring the front of the barrel where the section screws in is a much better option.

its_virgil

It sounds to me that the problem is the JoWo nib unit is difficult to remove from the section itself not the section from the barrel. Or, maybe I miss-understood the OP's message.

Like John, I do not cut relief gutters behind threads but cut reliefs at the ends of the cap and barrel. To me, it just looks better and as John mentioned, stronger.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20221015_092906-01.jpeg20221015_092812-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Todd in PA

It sounds to me that the problem is the JoWo nib unit is difficult to remove from the section itself not the section from the barrel.
Yes, Virgil has it right. It's the Jowo feed that's sticking.

I took the calipers to my tap and it does taper slightly at the tip. So I guess it's binding when the feed gets to where the 'starter' threads are. I thought I cut more threads than needed so that it would seat nicely at the lip step at the top of the Jowo housing. I'll pay more attention next time. I might be able to cut an extra couple of threads in the section since there's no bottom in the hole.

TDahl

I heard that some of the new Jowo housings are a slight bit larger (I am not sure how much) and some makers have found the fit to be tighter than normal. Like Darrin mentioned, you may have to go up in the size of the hole for the section.

duncsuss

I find ebonite to be a little more rubbery than other materials - no surprise, since it is "hard rubber". Since I started using drill bits one size larger for sections made of ebonite, I haven't had nearly as many nib units stick in the section.

Another possible cause of stickiness is slightly out-of-round nib units, or even poorly molded threads. The last time there was a group buy from Tapco, I got a matching tap & die set and now I chase the threads on the housing before fitting the nib unit into the section. Seems to have fixed the issue.

Todd in PA

So I think I found my error. I gently screwed the feed into my custom section a little past where it began to stick, just shy of fully seated. When I unscrewed it again I noticed small thread marks in the feed above the threads. Basically I didn't cut the 5/16" quite deep enough and the section was binding up in the unthreaded portion of the hole.

I probably drilled it deep enough originally, but I'm new, making mistakes, correcting, over-correcting, and improvising. I think I've redrilled and rethreaded each piece three times already. I had to make the cap over from scratch after shortening it too short—LOL. It's only my second pen. But I'm having fun, and learning.

I wish the whole pen was smaller. Like Jr. Series size. I guess that comes with practice… and probably a different tap and die.

Todd in PA

now I chase the threads on the housing before fitting the nib unit into the section. Seems to have fixed the issue.
Wow. I never suspected the Jowo parts being suspect. That's taking it to another level, touching up the threads from the manufacturer. Nice work!

duncsuss

Wow. I never suspected the Jowo parts being suspect. That's taking it to another level, touching up the threads from the manufacturer. Nice work!
When things don't fit as planned, my first thought is that I messed up - but if I double-check my work and think I did everything right, I'll start looking at the bought-in parts. Nib manufacturers sometimes make mistakes, there was a batch of JoWo housings that were prone to splitting a while ago. (See Brian Gray's posts at Meisternibs.)

You most likely have digital calipers, do a quick check on a housing that has a nib and feed installed. If there's a seam from the injection molding, measure across that, then rotate 90 degrees and check if the measurement is identical. Also, the nib itself can distort and expand the housing slightly.

Top Bottom