Next Meeting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darcisowers

we're hoping for an extended "ski season" since it really only just started. So if we're around, we'll make the meeting. Don't hold up scheduling on our account.... ;-)

Jim Campbell

April Meeting

Some really great dates..........

How about if we put a line in the sand and see how many folks can make the date? Let's shoot for Saturday, April 26th? I'd suggest the 13th, but it's the day after the BAWA "pen demo" day and I'm not sure we'd want to have two days in a row of pen stuff. I'd be open though.

I can host, but one thing needs to be made perfectly clear. Linda and I are hobbyist's, which means the house is a mess. Our house is a mess anyway, but at least I'll use the hobbyist as an excuse. We'll clean up a little bit, but no where near where the rest of the homes I've been in.

The dining room is the sewing room. The living room is the knitting room. The family room is the yarn collection point and the hubby chair and wood working magazine collection point.

The majority of the time will be spent in the garage.

What's the theme? Here's an idea.....Let's make silicon molds.

reefboy1

At this point Apr 26 looks good for me but my son it depends on my son's baseball schedule. I don't have his April game schedule yet.

Art

Jim Campbell

April 26 Meeting

I'm planning on firing up the BBQ. It'll likely be hot dogs, unless someone really wants something extravagant. Linda will do a mac-n-cheese casserole.

Since the silicon molds may not be a great idea, how about wheels? Attached is a recent article out of the Fine Woodworking Turning magazine.

I think the race cars would be a great project. Mostly turning with some serious belt sanding.

Attachments

• Wheel_Fun0001.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 266
  • Wheel_Fun0002.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 220
  • Wheel_Fun0003.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
  • Wheel_Fun0004.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 239

Jim Campbell

April 26 Meeting

Bill,

Linda and I have had a number of friends who have gone through chemo. Part of knowing people and part of growing older. It's never easy dealing with cancer. One thing we've noticed is attitude makes all the difference.

If you can make it, we'd all enjoy your company. If hot dogs won't cut it, I can cook just about anything, if there's something more appealing you can eat let us know.

Easter is an important day, but unless your traveling hopefully Moraga isn't too far away to enjoy the friendship of the pen turners group.

BMellber

April 26th Meeting

I'm on Baby watch that weekend, as my daughter is due on the 28th. This may be just the thing to keep my mind off the events of Monday. I like the idea of discussing "molds" as a subject since there are so many options to consider including silicone. Jim thanks for hosting the meeting and the garage is fine with me, the date is also fine with me.
Bill

ldubia

Now that we have the eeting established for the 26th of April, and a topic to consider, shouldn't we look into other things like discussions, food, what to bring, etc? I have a canopy and some tables I can bring. The 26th is coming up real soon.

If my turning membership card hasn't been revoked I should be there. My lathe has boxes stacked on it and its been months since I hot to it but I miss seeing everyone.

Jim Campbell

April 26 Meeting

Linda and I are looking forward to seeing everyone on the 26th.

We're gearing up for hot dogs and a mac-n-cheese casserole. We could also do hamburgers or chicken if there is a request to do so.
We are seeking volunteers to bring an additional casserole dish, as well as volunteers for salads, beverages, and dessert.

Larry, thanks for offering to bring the pop-up tent. We also have a pop-up tent, but please bring your in case we need another one. We have a dozen or so chairs, so if folks could bring a few extra chairs it would be great. It'd also be nice if you have one of the illustrious Costco/Sam's 5' or 6' fold-up tables.

We have floated a couple of ideas for demo's, but haven't heard much back. I there is something in particular folks are interested in, let's float it to the group. As always bring your show and tell items. Pens. scoops, salt-n-pepper shakers, and anything else. I always learn a great deal from what others have done. Bring the mistakes and well as the successes. I know I have plenty of mistakes.

If there is an interest in a demo, the person doing the demo needs to bee prepared to do it on a 4 speed 1944 Oliver 51D lathe. They should likely bring there own tools, lest they want to take a chance on using the tools I have.

The address is: 24 Tamarisk, Moraga

From Livermore:

Take 680 north to highway 24. Take the Orinda exit. Take aright. The road will turn into Moraga Way. Follow Moraga way 4-5 miles until you see a golf course on the right. Take a right turn at the stop light. Take a right turn at the stop sign. Take the second left. We're the second house on the right.

From Oakland:

Take highway 24 through the Caldecott tunnel. Take the Orinda exit. Take aright. The road will turn into Moraga Way. Follow Moraga way 4-5 miles until you see a golf course on the right. Take a right turn at the stop light. Take a right turn at the stop sign. Take the second left. We're the second house on the right.

We're looking forward to seeing everyone on the 26th.

Jim

Jim Campbell

April 26th Meeting - Adendum

Between spelling and grammatical errors, I'd be surprised if anyone could make sense out of the last posting.

Notice the change in directions from Livermore concerning the Orinda exit.

Linda and I are looking forward to seeing everyone on the 26th.

We're gearing up for hot dogs and a mac-n-cheese casserole. We could also do hamburgers or chicken if there is a request to do so. We are seeking volunteers to bring an additional casserole dish, as well as volunteers for salads, beverages, and dessert.

Larry, thanks for offering to bring the pop-up tent. We also have a pop-up tent, but please bring yours in case we need another one. We have a dozen or so chairs, so if folks could bring a few extra chairs it would be great. It'd also be nice if you have one of the illustrious Costco/Sam's 5' or 6' fold-up tables.

We have floated a couple of ideas for demo's, but haven't heard much back. I there is something in particular folks are interested in, let's float it to the group. As always bring your show and tell items. Pens, scoops, salt-n-pepper shakers, and anything else. I always learn a great deal from what others have done. Bring the mistakes and well as the successes. I know I have plenty of mistakes.

If there is an interest in a demo, the person doing the demo needs to be prepared to do it on a 4 speed 1944 Oliver 51D lathe. They should likely bring there own tools, lest they want to take a chance on using the tools I have.

The address is: 24 Tamarisk, Moraga

From Livermore:

Take 680 north to highway 24. Take the Orinda exit. Take the second off ramp. The first goes to Richmond. The road will turn into Moraga Way. Follow Moraga way 4-5 miles until you see a golf course on the right. Take a right turn at the stop light. Take a right turn at the stop sign. Take the second left. We're the second house on the right.

From Oakland:

Take highway 24 through the Caldecott tunnel. Take the Orinda exit. Take a right. The road will turn into Moraga Way. Follow Moraga way 4-5 miles until you see a golf course on the right. Take a right turn at the stop light. Take a right turn at the stop sign. Take the second left. We're the second house on the right.

We're looking forward to seeing everyone on the 26th.

Jim

ldubia

I will bring the pop-up and a couple of folding tables. I will also bering some delicious dish of some sort. Since you are doing mac and cheese, my mac salad is out. Don't want to much pasta. Possibly some deviled eggs or something. I'll see what I can come up with.

Is there any interest in wood? I may have soime redwood blanks (large ones) and some walnut from a claro walnut log I just cut up. I also have 3 1x8 chuck adaptors for sale. I will sell them for $15. Woodcraft has them for $23.

TimS124

Is it open to anybody in the general area? For me, it's a bit of a rhetorical question this month as I'm already committed on the 26th (that's opening weekend for trout season on my favorite stretch of water)...

Jim Campbell

4/26 Meeting

Two items............

One: there is a triathalon on the 26th in Moraga, so come in from Orinda.

Two: We could use a headcount. Please respond to let us know you'll be attending. We could use the headcount.

ldubia

I will be there with my tables and canopy and something tasty. On another note, does anyone have a sphere jig usable oon a 16" lathe?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
"Maybe"

I'm really hoping to be there but I have a network cutover that weekend. If it goes well on Saturday, I'll be at your place Sunday. If not, well....

ldubia

We don't have any topics to discuss so here is my two cents worth.
If anyone is interested, I can bring some info on segmenting or a threading jig I have for threading boxes. Cindy can compare (or someone else) with her hand threading chisels.
Or maybe bring a coring set from Oneway and one from McNaughton to compare.
I think it might be interesting to bring our jigs to talk about the things we do to make our turning life easier.

These are just ideas I am throwing out. Anyonne else have anything they want to share?

Jim Campbell

April 26th Meeting

There appears to be five (5) who have confirmed they can attend, and a number of folks who have indicated they cannot make it.

There has been a suggestion floated that perhaps we should consider re-scheduling the meeting?

What is everyone's thoughts? Should we re-schedule?

Top Bottom