newbie in tenn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

badbtk

:biggrin:im new to penturning have just bought skill drill press, craftsmen saw, 7mm pen holder, need info on cheep lathe. need good supplier of pen blanks. please help me get started. im in tennessee, anybody close please respond if have cutters, blanks, or other getting started equipment let me know.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

:biggrin:im new to penturning have just bought skill drill press, craftsmen saw, 7mm pen holder, need info on cheep lathe. need good supplier of pen blanks. please help me get started. im in tennessee, anybody close please respond if have cutters, blanks, or other getting started equipment let me know.

Tenuhsea is a purty big place, just what parts is you in.

JohnU

Welcome badbtk! you'll find lots of blanks and supplies here in the forums and at exoticblanks.com Looking forward to seeing some of your work. John

Hillbilly

Hey Vience,

Congrats on your very first post. You all this is a friend of mine that I invited to the forum. He came to my house a while back and watch me make a pen, and thats all she wrote.....He's Hooked. So I'm trying to help him get everything he needs for his first turn.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Vience! Glad you have a local fellow turner. Everyone with this addiction needs as much support . . . :biggrin:

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Venice! Lots of great information here.

You asked about a lathe. You can get started on many, but if you do find an inexpensive one with an MT2 (Morse Taper #2) and one with MT1, go with the one with the MT2. That does not mean much now but it means more expandability in the future if your turning hobby/work grows. The MT1s do a good job and if that is all that you can get, it will do fine. But if there is a choice - go with the MT2 setup.

What part of Tennessee are you located? I am in Japan of course but home is just a few minutes south of Memphis. There are others here from West TN, Mid TN and East TN. Let us know and you can have some help!

Nolan

Vience,

As Mark Gum stated I can currently have some stuff on sale, If you don't seen anything that interest you PM me as I have or can get just about anything you might want. I have regular stuff at real fair prices and then I have once in a lifetime blanks that are very expensive and anything in between. Welcome and I look forward to the opportunity to fill your pen blanks needs.

Thanks,
Nolan

Top Bottom