Brand New

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wes

Hi,
I'm Wes and my 12 year old Son ,Nik and I have decided to start turning pens. In reality I have been wanting to do this for years. We are putting a list of equiptment together. Any help in this area, would greatly be apreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snowman56

Deep pocket's to soon be empty.LOL Welcome to the IAP.You will get the anwser to all your question's here. Check the library there is load's of info here.

ldubia

Welcome from Boulder Crk, CA. Three points...1. keep in mind is that it is fun. :) 2. many times the wood or acrylic will blow out and be destroyed. :eek::confused: 3. see point 1. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Enjoy the holidays.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hiya Wes and Nik, welcome to IAP. Your question about what you will need really depends on what you already have and how deep your pockets are. Obviously you guys will need a lathe and chisels if you haven't already got them. Then you will need stuff like pen mandrels, bushes to match the kits you buy, and of course some blanks.
Once you've decided, then go to any of the great suppliers you guys have in the States and blow your budget:biggrin:
There are many suppliers, but perhaps the biggest one-stop vendor is Craft Supplies USA.
Have fun:biggrin:

markgum

Hey Wes and Nik. welcome to the fun. make sure you check out the NOR/CEN CA group. They are a great bunch of people and have GREAT get-to-gethers.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Wes and Nik.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Wes and Nik! One . . no, . . . Two words of advice: TWO LATHES! :biggrin: Just kidding! But do keep that in mind. It sure is fun.

Great to have a father and son team going. There are several on here who make pens with their son, or assist them in turning pens. Join in the fun here.

bobleibo

That is awesome that you are doing this with your son. This way the two of you can watch your money disappear together. What a bonding event :)
Here is my suggestion..
Buy a few bags of spare tubes for any pen kit. Slimlines work well and are very cheap from most places, about $3 for a dozen. Then buy a bunch of inexpensive blanks. Woodcraft sells a grab-bag type of assortment for about $12. Practice drilling, gluing and turning these instead of the expensive woods and kits....it will save you a ton of money while you go thru that oh-so-expensive learning curve. By the time you turn 20-30 practice blanks you'll have a pretty good handle on it. I speak from a lot of very dumb and costly experience.
Most of all, have fun!
Cheers

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Wes, you already have the right idea of how to proceed. "But Honey, I'm doing this for Nik" is a great way to authorize expenses for a new hobby!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Welcome to our IAP family. Take some time to read the links Hank provided and also take a look at the rest of the library as there is a great amount of knowledge available there.

WildcatHollow

Stuff I Needed to Get Started in Pen Turning

Welcome aboard, you two, from another newbie. Here's the list I used to get started. I bought most of my equipment from Penn State Industries. At the time, they were offering free shipping so I saved a couple hundred bucks.

Mini Lathe
Morse Taper #2 Pen Madrel
60 degree live center (also MT #2)
Set of turning chisels (Minimum: roughing gouge, skew, parting tool. I also highly recommend the PSI Tenon Tool.)
Drill Press (Very important: make sure the table and the chuck are EXACTLY perpendicular to each other, especially if you're going to use it for milling.)
Set of Brad Point Drill Bits (minimum: 7mm, 8mm, 10mm)
Pen Blank Vise (for drilling and milling)
Pen Mill
Pen Press
Brass Tube Insertion Tool
You can find all of the above (and more) here:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pen-turning-supplies.html
I also bought a .22 caliber pistol cleaning rod and some cleaning patches. I clean my brass tubes with them right before I start assembling the pens.

Polyurethane Glue (i.e. Gorilla Glue)
Thin CA
Medium CA
Gap Filling CA

Consumables:

Latex Gloves (I'm terrible at using CA, so this helps me avoid sticking various body parts together)
Sand Paper in these grits: 150, 240, 320, 400, 600
0000 Steel Wool for burnishing
EEE-Triple Shine
Mylands High Build Friction Polish
Lots of Paper Towels
Pen Kits of your choice and the madrel bushings they require. The bushings eventually wear down, so get two sets for each style of pen kt you build. That way you don't have to wait for another set in the mail.

Nice to have shop tool: band saw. A table saw will work, but it makes things exciting. Honestly, a miter saw and box will work for you 90% of the time.

If you're going to get into acrylics you'll need some polishing pads and liquid finishing polish.

You can find dozens of videos on YouTube and other websites explaining how to turn pens. Go to Google Video and search for "penturning" or "pen turning" or "making pens" or "pen making." These videos helped my a lot

I highly recommend two books: The Pen Turner Workbook by Barry Gross, and Turning Pens and Pencils by Christensen and Burningham. You can find used version on Half.com.

Eventually, you'll need a way to keep your chisels sharp, so a grinder along with Wolverine's tools will help. But, you can do it by hand if you're careful. Sharp tools make life a LOT easier.

Here are some websites, aside from this one, I found helpful:

pennstateind.com
woodcraft.com
woodturnerscatalog.com
bealltool.com
woodturningz.com
exoticblanks.com
woodnwhimsies.com
rockler.com
grizzly.com
forgottenwoods.net

I'm sure there are lots of other, but the above were helpful to me. In addition, several of the members maintain websites from which they sell pen turning related stuff.

As for pen kits to get started: I purchased 20 of the Designer series from Penn State and kept building them until I got one right. It took me 12 screw ups before I got my first usable pen. Oh, and make sure you order a bag of extra tubes for this kit. It will save you some frustration. Slimlines are less expensive by a few cents, but they don't turn out as good looking as the Designer series. The Designer also add the little "tenon" twist, which is something you need to know anyway.

Good luck.

Let me know if you have any more questions about getting started.

Regards,

t.

Last edited:
Top Bottom