New Trick for Old .. errr .. Penturner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrD

DrD

I decided to try my hand at a One Piece Twist Pen. Attached are a few photos of the result. Biggest issue was boring thru the ~4.25" blank. Lots of issues there, but worked thru them I think. I have ordered a longer 7mm Parabolic Flute Pen Makers Drill Bit which will only partially solve my problem. The throw on my lathe tail stock quill is only 2 1/4" with the MT2 on the Jacobs Chuck taking up 1" of that. My drill press is likewise limited to a 2 1/4". I'll get 'er done, one way or atother.

The blank is from a stash of figured maple I've had for some number of years. Pen was partially wet sanded (MM grits) using Mahoney's Utility Finish - 320 thru 800 were dry sanded. After final MM, I put on 3 coats of Pens Plus. The Mahoney's and the Pens Plus slightly darkened the timber. 3rd pic is my second attempt at a 1 piece which is yet to be finished. This shows how the choice of finish darkened the timber. As always all comments, especially those helping me improve are welcomed.

Attachments

• DL1Pc1.jpg
    DL1Pc1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 226
  • DL1Pc2.jpg
    DL1Pc2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DL1Pc3.jpg
    DL1Pc3.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 221
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

Nice job! I have been doing one piece pens for about 8 years. Mostly I use SlimLine and European kits. I got the longer bit and it made all the difference.
Tomas

DrD

Nice job! I have been doing one piece pens for about 8 years. Mostly I use SlimLine and European kits. I got the longer bit and it made all the difference.
Tomas
I used a StreamLine Round Top for the completed one. The second one will have the flat end cap from a StreamLine FlatTop. Combined, I have over 65 of these kits - gotta use them somehow. At shows, they are different from the run of the mill, so maybe they'll sell.

Thanks for the post.

Don

walshjp17

The fact that your tail stock quill only has a "throw" of 2 1/4" should not be a problem. Move the tail stock after each hole clearing, reset the quill to the position needed to keep in the MT and drill again. Repeat until the hole is completely through. I do this all the time and have no problem with 4" or longer blanks. I normally use a Colt bit from a pen drilling set or Norseman Jobber bits. No problems with either one.

Nice job wth the figured Maple; it looks really nice. I'll have to try this on one of my European/Designer kits as I mostly do one piece pen with Slimlines. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: DrD

DrD

The fact that your tail stock quill only has a "throw" of 2 1/4" should not be a problem. Move the tail stock after each hole clearing, reset the quill to the position needed to keep in the MT and drill again.
Roger that! I was hoping to get a new drill press with a 5" throw until my wife asked where/how I planned to get the $1000.00? Then she pointed out what you said you did. I countered by saying I wanted to avoid doing that, whereupon she said "... ok stop turning pens." We've been married for 45 years, and her logic most usually trumps my wants.

I'll do the inching ahead with the lathe tail stock and be thankful!

Thanks for the advice and the comments.

DrD

jttheclockman

howsitwork

JT

Ive not seen one with a 1/2" chuck but 3/8 is pretty common. They're generally used for high speed drilling with small drills into metal but no reason why they shouldn't be used for our purpose. No , as yet I haven't got one as it's on my to make list but several acquaintances do have them and are impressed with accuracy .You can buy the attachment WITHOUT a chuck , just with the arbor and attach you're own chuck of whatever size . Indian sourced ones offering this were, until recently , fairly commonly listed.

Hang fire and as this covid situation resolves they will no doubt come back.

jttheclockman

JT

Ive not seen one with a 1/2" chuck but 3/8 is pretty common. They're generally used for high speed drilling with small drills into metal but no reason why they shouldn't be used for our purpose. No , as yet I haven't got one as it's on my to make list but several acquaintances do have them and are impressed with accuracy .You can buy the attachment WITHOUT a chuck , just with the arbor and attach you're own chuck of whatever size . Indian sourced ones offering this were, until recently , fairly commonly listed.

Hang fire and as this covid situation resolves they will no doubt come back.
interesting. Never seen these. Thanks.

Top Bottom