New to this site

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

Hi people.....I'm new to this site, but an old hand at turning wood. I live in the Tulsa area, and have been turning pens since before the 'kits' that we value so highly were available. When 'Shopsmith' had a retail store in Tulsa, I sold Shopsmith products, taught advanced classes in woodworking, and taught woodturning both at Shopsmith and at my shop as a side job. I loved every minute of it, and still do. My crowning achievement was being elected as President of Eastern Oklahoma Woodturners Association for two terms. I then became haunted by my war experience in Viet Nam and burdened by PTSD and depression for a few years. I'm back.

I like the enthusiasm seen here on this site. Older hands helping younger turners without regard to at least some individual trade secrets, and the exuberance of young'uns just now discovering the relaxantion and pride that comes about as a result of creating something on your own. Back in the day, we had no internet, and few ways of sharing other than word of mouth.

Again, enjoy creating and have a good time..........Jim W:tongue:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Welcome Jim!
I thought I was the only one left that remembered the old "kits" from Shopsmith. It was so nice when they finally made a kit that didn't require a step drill.
txbob

Focushere

Welcome Jim

I haven't been on this site for more than six weeks myself, but everyone seems to be great. A lot of nice folks here.

randyrls

Jim; Welcome;

I had a Shopsmith for many years, but sold it a few years ago. I sold it and regretted it almost immediately. I want to buy another, and may buy a new one. They have a new model out that has an Electronic Speed control identical to the Nova DVR lathes made by Teknatool. I may also get a used SS.

ctubbs

Jim, a big hearty redneck welcome from west Kentucky. God bless you and thanks for your service. I understand a bit about PTSD as my wife suffers from the similar problem.
Charles

Top Bottom