New technique for Gluboost Challenge!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

Try this. I'd like to see if you agree. Call me lazy but this seems to work for me. I finish turning my pen as always with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper and then apply GB in the normal way with the lathe off starting with Blue then orange using accelerator as directed. I use a paper towel. Then instead of only using 2 coats of the orange I apply 2 more coats insuring it has a nice smooth finish wiping back and forth with the grain as the GB is self leveling. Then......hold on to you chairs, I SKIP THE MICRO MESH! I use EEE on a paper towel once or twice, wiping and polishing between applications at about 2K rpms. Then I buff/polish with my Maguires plastic polish as always, also with a paper towel. I really can't see or feel the difference between that method and the micromesh method. My thinking is that it also removes less of the finish. Less mess and less time. The EEE seems to be about as aggressive as the m mesh.

Maybe somebody else could give it a try and see if they agree.

This one done with m.mesh
L48byHxl.jpg

This one skipping the m. mesh
nKMwgTvl.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Andy,
Thanks for the post. Great looking finish on both pens. There are dozens of ways to arrive at the same fit and finish in pen making and I think that is one of the things that make pen making so attractive - there is no "one way" to achieve the perfect finish, there are a multiplicity of ways. The secret is perseverance until one finds the one or two that fits them.

I learned to smooth the wood without sandpaper accidentally because of a need that sandpaper couldn't accomplish. Glad you found a method that works for you using EEE. It may help others too!

Congratulations!

Dehn0045

One word of caution is that EEE contains a wax that is left behind. This can hide flaws that return after only a small amount of end use of the pen. You can check by cleaning the blank with DNA after the finishing process is complete. I did this a while back and found that the final finish wasn't as good as I had thought. That said, I was using BSI thin CA, your results could definitely be better than mine due to differences in CA and procedural nuances...

Timber Ripper

KenB
From Google - EEE - Ultra Shine is a cut and polish paste wax containing Tripoli powder (also known in Australia as Rotten Stone) an ultra fine abrasive. The polish is designed to be used in conjunction with Shellawax Cream & liquid or as a finish in its own right on plastics and some stone.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Probably a dumb question, but here goes anyways. What is EEE?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
My father always said the only dumb question is the one not asked. We learn by asking. I asked the same question a while back. Some refer to it as Tripoli, aka EEE.
If I have a question, I ask my wife. ;) Classified ad- For sale. One set of encyclopedias. Don't need, wife knows everything.

ramaroodle

One word of caution is that EEE contains a wax that is left behind. This can hide flaws that return after only a small amount of end use of the pen. You can check by cleaning the blank with DNA after the finishing process is complete. I did this a while back and found that the final finish wasn't as good as I had thought. That said, I was using BSI thin CA, your results could definitely be better than mine due to differences in CA and procedural nuances...
Oh. Great point! Thanks! Maybe a wipedown with DNA or Acetone before applying the plastic polish. Using the EEE as an abrasive. Can anyone recommend another option? Mild rubbing compound?

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Oh. Great point! Thanks! Maybe a wipedown with DNA or Acetone before applying the plastic polish. Using the EEE as an abrasive. Can anyone recommend another option? Mild rubbing compound?

Some rubbing compounds will work. To cut down on the work, look at the following:

. . . With a little experience, touching the cured CA (as the blank is turning on the lathe) with a sharp scraper or sharp skew will make it as smooth as glass and even from end to end too. Last thing to do is size it and polish it.

Top Bottom