New subscriber from deep East Texas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomhooper

I have just found this forum. I am very new to the whole pen-turning thing. I have never done it or even have any equipment yet. I like the idea and being semi-retired I think it is something I will enjoy. Look forward to learning a lot from all of you experts.

While I will probably start out with some purchased blanks, I see myself doing my own blanks. I own a lot of land (2000+ acres) of which a large part has been in my family for 7 generations. We have some very old growth trees of many species. I think I would enjoy making pens and pencils from the wood of some of these trees. Several of which are well in excess of 100 years.

I would appreciate any advice as to starter kits, equipment, etc, that I should purchase.

Glad to be here and look forward to hearing from everyone.

Hoop

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Welcome Tom! I'm an East Texan, born and bred! If you chop down them 100 year old trees, don't forget about us!:)

tomhooper

Probably won't be cutting down too many of them. I do have several large oaks probably at least 100 years that were killed in a fire a few years ago. They are still standing so I may take one or more of them down. When I do, I'll gladly share the wealth.

Thanks for the welcome. I need to go out and just take stock of what I have. I had some pine timber cut back about 5 years ago and they did cut numerous fairly large cedar trees. They are still down. I may go check and see if the wood is any good. If it is, would anyone be interested in some? Shipping charges should be very low and I'll give you the wood for free.

JeffT

Hoop,

Welcome to the group. Get your feet wet - there's lots of good information and helpful folks on IAP. There are a few turners from the Shreveport/Bossier area and a bunch of us in Houston. Several times per year, we are having casual meet/greet/demo meetings. The next one here in Houston will be Sept. 10, so if you're up for a road trip, come on down. Keep an eye on the individual classifieds (you can subscribe to the forums & threads) - you might find a good deal on starter equipment.

As you get started, add pictures to your posts and you'll get constructive and/or wise crack comments. It's all good!

JeffT
Spring, TX

Welcome Tom. I lived in Tyler for about 4 years while working for the YMCA. I'm fairly new also to pen turning (since about Nov.). I got started by getting the free DVD from Penn State Industry and got one of their starter kits. Moved on from that. This is a great forum to learn and be inspired and lots of people willing to help. Look forward to seeing you around here.

Sawdust46

Welcome from McKinney, Texas. Be careful, this pen turning is additive! I'm relatively new myself but there is tons of information availble on this site and people who really know what they are doing.

ctubbs

Welcome Tom, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Getting_started_in_penturning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Woodlvr

Welcome from Salt Lake City, Utah. I would like to see the woods that you are able to offer when you are ready. Welcome to the addiction and insanity (sometimes) Take Care.

Mike

jbswearingen

Welcome from a former Texan! Well, okay, I'm still a Texan, but I now (unfortunately?) reside in MD. I grew up in Splendora.

Be careful...wood turning is addicting (and often fatal) disease and the lathe is the CHEAPEST part of the habit...

:biggrin:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Tom, to the slippery slope. I'm putting in a few links here that might help you get started.

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

This link will lead you to a great place to keep your eye on things. It's kind of a guide to the who, what, and whatever for of the IAP site.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. You know much of this but it will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Top Bottom