New prototype Kitless Copper Clicker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

My first test of a new pen I'm working out in the shop this week. The body is C145 Tellurium Copper, a fancy way of saying free turning copper. It's not as "sticky" As normal C110 copper rod. In making a threaded cone designed to use a Pilot G2 ink cartridge, it ended up being Too large and front end heavy. The body tapers from the clicker to the nib, smaller on the clickerend. The next one will be more traditional in shape tapering to both ends. This will make it lighter and more symmetrical. It will require that the nose cone be fixed and soldered In place. The mechanism is a Schmidt SKM88. My plan is to do a detailed write up with the next design, assuming it works. I also plan to electroplate the clip and SKM88 with copper. Hope you like it.

(Corrected the Id of the copper as Tellurium Copper not Beryllium.)

FD095B83-744F-4264-B947-4308AA114ED0.jpeg
9D2B4F59-1EF3-4C87-B0FF-5A5CC8734BC7.jpeg

Danny

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Lots of potential Danny. Looks pretty good.

I don't know if you are aware or not but Beryllium alloys are dangerous to work with. Here is a little about it. You can do more research if you want to know more.

magpens

Very Nice, Danny !!!

You say it tapers ? .... "smaller on the clickerend" ... ? ... But it looks pretty well straight-sided to me, until you get to the nosecone.

Will be anxiously awaiting the new version with copper plated SKM-88.

Hope you can show us the disassembly and reassembly of the SKM-88, plus the tool you make to do that "tricky" operation. ... Good Luck !!!

More4dan

Lots of potential Danny. Looks pretty good.

I don't know if you are aware or not but Beryllium alloys are dangerous to work with. Here is a little about it. You can do more research if you want to know more.

I added the Copper type from memory, it is actually alloyed with Tellurium not Beryllium. Thanks for the safety note.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Ironwood

Nice work Dan. I really like the look of this, I think I like the contrast of the different colour clip and clicker, but will reserve my opinion until I see your next version.
How do you access the refill to change it ?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice, I do like the color, not as common as others and I find it appealing. The groves towards the nib are a nice touch.

More4dan

Nice work Dan. I really like the look of this, I think I like the contrast of the different colour clip and clicker, but will reserve my opinion until I see your next version.

I like the contrast too but there is occasionally a method to my madness. I'm making a pen for a friends wife who is working as an ICU nurse. Copper is about the best material at reducing the life of germs, bacteria, and viruses. Every little bit helps I guess.

Danny

More4dan

The clicker unthreads from the top and on this one the nose cone is also threaded.

Danny

Brotherdale

Looks good Danny. I really like the copper. I think the clip and clicker in copper might be too much. But I am a visual person so I would have to see it to know if I liked it or not.
I wonder how it would look with the clip and click in a "patina" copper, the emerald greenish.
what size threads did you use on the nib?

Ironwood

I like the contrast too but there is occasionally a method to my madness. I'm making a pen for a friends wife who is working as an ICU nurse. Copper is about the best material at reducing the life of germs, bacteria, and viruses. Every little bit helps I guess.

Danny

Ahh, I see. Well this potentially overrides the visual aesthetics, so keep going on your way there.

Your pen reminds me of a batch of pens a guy made for his family, and posted about them on one of the Aussie forums, his were made of titanium. I will have a dig around tonight and find the thread.

More4dan

Looks good Danny. I really like the copper. I think the clip and clicker in copper might be too much. But I am a visual person so I would have to see it to know if I liked it or not.
I wonder how it would look with the clip and click in a "patina" copper, the emerald greenish.
what size threads did you use on the nib?

The threads for the nib are M9 x 0.75. I like the idea of going darker on the clip to give some contrast. Now to find my sulfur of liver to patina the copper, it's somewhere in the garage.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

stuckinohio

Danny,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious to see if the C145 has developed any patina, and if so, could you post a pic? hoping the patination has started after a couple years. I remembered seeing it when you posted originally so had to search for it today.

I'll be using C145 for a project soon and hoping it develops a nice patina!

Top Bottom