New Pen Turning Book from our own Don Ward

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

IAP member: it's_virgil, has been published.

A life time of teaching others didn't end when this math teacher retired. Don Ward, through his website http://www.redriverpens.com/ and many hands-on demonstrations, has helped many learn and refine the craft of turning pens.

Now, after over a year in the works, his book Turning Modified Slimline Pens: Beyond the Basics is available here http://tinyurl.com/8dvu63a

I personally can't wait to get a copy! :)

Thanks Don, for all your help and encouragement and best of luck with your new book!

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Congrats Don. So any chance the book signing tour makes a stop in South Dakota?:tongue::biggrin: I still have all the articles I printed from www.Redriverpens.com when I first started turing pens a few years back. Nice to see you'll be reaching a even larger audience.

its_virgil

Thanks Lenny for posting the book info. It was a bit of hard work that started officially in June of 2011. Lots of deadlines, photos, do-overs and late night editing. But, I am pleased with the book and myself for getting it done.

Thanks also to the others who have commented. I appreciate them and hope the book lives up to my expectations.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

IAP member: it's_virgil, has been published.

A life time of teaching others didn't end when this math teacher retired. Don Ward, through his website Wooden Pens: Buy Handmade unique custom rattlesnake wood pens gifts fountain pen exotic wood from Red River Pens and many hands-on demonstrations, has helped many learn and refine the craft of turning pens.

Now, after over a year in the works, his book Turning Modified Slimline Pens: Beyond the Basics is available here http://tinyurl.com/8dvu63a

I personally can't wait to get a copy! :)

Thanks Don, for all your help and encouragement and best of luck with your new book!

I was blessed to get to hold the first copy and look at it, when I was helping Don teach people how to turn pens at SWAT last month. It will be more than worth the price and the wait!

ttpenman

WOW! Great penmaker, now a published author. Congrats. I've read your posts here and in other forums for years. You are always stepping up to help others now you have a book to help even more. Hope the book is a great success.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Lenny

Just checking the link and using the " look inside" feature has me excited to turn some modified slim lines again. :)
Can't wait till my copy arrives! :)

Just checking the link and using the " look inside" feature has me excited to turn some modified slim lines again. :)
Can't wait till my copy arrives! :)
Im going to check the Look Inside feature. I am a little hesitant about a book that deals with slimlines only. I just bought 2 dvds from someone in which the only thing he does is turn different styles of pens, so I learned nothing new. A bit disappointing.
In fact what I would love to see is a book or dvd showing different techniques like how to make different types of celtic knots, straight segments, curved segments, herringbones, feather blanks, anodized aluminum, drilling techniques, finishing etc etc etc. Maybe there is such an item and I have been missing it? :ghost:
Edit: Oh I know... all these techniques you can find in the library. :)

Edit # 2. I saw what the book is about and yes, I think I can learn something new out of it. Ordered it already :)

Last edited:

its_virgil

Thanks again for the kind words. And, of course, thanks to those who are ordering.

Just a word or two on the book. It does not cover how to turn or making tool choices. I assume that anyone using the book is already turning and has turned a few slimline pens since that kit seems to be the "starter kit". I chose to use the slimline kit because I really like the versatility of the kit, I like to experiment with slimline parts and see what can be done to make different pens from the kit, and there are lots of turners who still turn only slimline kits. Also, the techniques I use to make these modified slimline pens can be used on other kits also. I made one slimline as project #1 as the pen is designed to be made. The other 9 projects are all modified slimline pens using some or all of the parts. Each project has step by step photographs of the making of the pen. Thanks again,
Do a good turn daily!
Don

TerryDowning

If it is a "reading book" then electronic format is preferred. If it is a reference manual then hard copy may be the way to go. I don't like bringing my kindle out to the shop. I have a strict minimal electronics policy in my shop. The one exception is an MP3 player attached to an old receiver.

I use computers at work all day long and they are not allowed in my shop.

PTsideshow

Just found my copy the UPS guy slipped it in the door the regular guy must be off today! First flip thru it looks great filled with photo's and what appear to be only enough words to describe the operations covered. Should be a great read later tonight! Very nice shoot of Don with the IAP logo patch on his turning smock displayed in prominence inside the front end of the book. Should be good for an in flux of new members.

Thanks Don for another great additions to my pen turning library!
:clown:

PTsideshow

Well got to finish the first chapter of the intro information. And the first standard slim line, he makes and then goes on to customizing the slim line kit in the rest of the book. I like the photo layout of all the pens at the end side by side so one can look at all the differences side by side.
As he states that it isn't a beginners book, but a beginner can learn a couple of things that I think will aid in making his pens a success! I think it will become a must have for the pen turners libraries. Don a very nice job on the book, the photos are clear, bright and not to small nor to far away that the point of each is lost. The captions fit the procedures well.
I give it :star::star::star::star::star:!!!!!

its_virgil

Thanks Glen...Wow! 5 stars...whagt a compliment!

I mentioned in the book that is was not a beginner book only to help make it clear that the book is not for learning how to turn pens. There are a lot of those out there. I just didn't want a beginner to get it thinking it would teach them how to turn a basic pen or using several pen kits. But, as you mentioned, it is not beyond the beginner's skills to do most of what I did with projects #2-#10.

I look forward to seeing some of the pens made using the book posted here.
Thanks again,
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Well got to finish the first chapter of the intro information. And the first standard slim line, he makes and then goes on to customizing the slim line kit in the rest of the book. I like the photo layout of all the pens at the end side by side so one can look at all the differences side by side.
As he states that it isn't a beginners book, but a beginner can learn a couple of things that I think will aid in making his pens a success! I think it will become a must have for the pen turners libraries. Don a very nice job on the book, the photos are clear, bright and not to small nor to far away that the point of each is lost. The captions fit the procedures well.
I give it :star::star::star::star::star:!!!!!

PTsideshow

Well I just finished it and have to say that in addition to a couple of the tips that you had in there, one of which I was collecting assorted writing implements that I was going to test writing names on blanks and chunks. Which you solved for me.

Along with the one piece slimline, very nice And I will have to try them. the arrow blank pen slimline answered a lot of question of a how did they do that! Since I had a section of broken shaft and it seemed to be to big for the pen mechanism, with out a lot of shimming etc.

I can recommend this one to anybody, that would like to elevate the slimline to the next level. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and when my skills match the pens I will enjoy making them.
It is a great addition to my pen making library. Thank you Don.

seamus7227

I got my copy this afternoon! And it was even personally autographed by my mentor himself! There is more information in this book than you can imagine. As i was flipping through the pages, i saw new ideas and methods that really sparked an interest in trying new things! I highly encourage everyone to get your copy today!

2012-10-06 19.44.48-1.jpg

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Last edited:

its_virgil

Thanks Seamus.... most excellent grasshopper. Or, was that a rattlesnake at your feet...maybe you should be called "rattlesnake". I hope you get some time to make a few pens soon!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I got my copy this afternoon! And it was even personally autographed by my mentor himself! There is more information in this book than you can imagine. As i was flipping through the pages, i saw new ideas and methods that really sparked an interest in trying new things! I highly encourage everyone to get your copy today!

View attachment 82458

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

OK!!!...OK!!!!-Everybody.You convinced me.I rarely buy books.An occasional Woodturning Design,Supplies,and tools. My shop fund is stretched.But this obviously is a "tool" that is to good to miss out on.Plenty to have fun with now,and inspiring challenge to help me grow.Thanks Don for the opportunity.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I saw in an earlier post that Amazon was out so I paid full price at the publisher, but I have in my left hand. I'm typing with my right hand :eek:. Haven't had a lot of time to read but it looks like there are enough pictures, with written detail, to make it an easy reference. Good work Don!!! Thanks!:wink:

Top Bottom