Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good evening all,

I Have been woodworking and running a business in the woodworking field for a lot of years and have decided to slow down and start having fun
woodworking again. I am jumping in with both feet and all my Ornamental Mills and my lathe.
I have turned for many years as well but to be honest not for fun but for fixing chairs, tables , spindles for stairways, cradles you name it but now.....

I'm excited to become a part of this great organization.
I will be honest I have not turned a pen in my life, but turning a new leaf over this year and digging in deep. I have recent bought several pen kits from Penn State, WoodCraft and Craft Supplys USA.
I am also digging in to the game calls and ring turning. I've owned and operated Ziegler WoodWork & Specialty for over 30 years and did woodwork for close to 50 years starting out simple with only a knife and a desire to make....
I have 6 Legacy ornamental Mills 4 of which 1 is a wood Chuck and are operational and 2 for parts and I also have the PM4224 B which I believe will be where I do most of my pen turning but of course will do some on the LOM's too.
I have made a 1200 into a scaled up version of what I refer to as my REVO HYBRID. Its 50 inches wide,
and has both capabilities to turn in the center as a traditional LOM, and I have made a REVO mounted to the side using the same router carriage allowing me to work right up close and see what I am doing.
For such turning as the pens. I have White side Pen mandrels, etc... as Woodpecker's was not going to
ship until mid winter.
So to make a long story short I hope to learn tons of from you guys and hope I can share and contribute as well.
I really enjoy getting to know others more one on one so if I ask if we can have a separate conversation you'll know I just maybe want to get to know you a bit better.
I belong to 2 or 3 other forums the Legacy Forum I am active almost daily and have developed some real great friendships, some as far as Australia.
Again thanks so much for letting me join your group and I hope your all willing to help me learn the art of Pen turning.

Kind regards,

Tim J. Ziegler
Ziegler WoodWork & Specialty
Foreston MN.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

Welcome, Tim.

I joined about a year ago and have been turning pens pretty much every weekend since. It's fun and addicting. I get such a kick out of giving these things to my friends.

My resolution is to do a small craft show in 2022.

magpens

Hi Tim ! ! . . Warm welcome to IAP ! ! . . :D

You just got in under the wire for 2021 membership !!!

Let's keep an eye on things and see if you are the last to join up THIS year ! !

Can you please give me the actual URL for the "Legacy Forum" that you mentioned ? . I'm having trouble getting to it.

Welcome, Tim.

I joined about a year ago and have been turning pens pretty much every weekend since. It's fun and addicting. I get such a kick out of giving these things to my friends.

My resolution is to do a small craft show in 2022.
thanks Todd,

I can see where the addiction comes in. Wow yesterday I went through some stock and found all kinds of pen blank material.
I'm looking forward to it and looking forward to getting some pens turned.
Do you turn anything else?

Kind regards,

Tim

Hi Tim ! ! . . Warm welcome to IAP ! ! . . :D

You just got in under the wire for 2021 membership !!!

Let's keep an eye on things and see if you are the last to join up THIS year ! !

Can you please give me the actual URL for the "Legacy Forum" that you mentioned ? . I'm having trouble getting to it.
Good morning and thanks for the kind welcome.
Pretty cool to come in under the wire lol.
See if this link opens you up to it.

Kind regards,

Tim

magpens

egnald

Hi Tim and Greetings from Nebraska!
Welcome to the IAP Community. I've made a few trips to your neck of the woods. I have had relatives that lived Southwest of you in Kimball. - Dave

@Ziegler WoodWork & Spec.

That is a closed group.
I need permission to join.

Tim, can you give me an idea what is the focus of that group, and possibly I could arrange to join ?

Thanks
Hey Mal,

Yes it works similar to this group, I mentioned it to one of our administrators, and I have not check to see if he responded.
Send me your e-mail to my email and I will chat with him.
His name is Curtis George.
my email is:
timjziegler@gmail.com
don't forget the "j"
thanks and more later then.

Kind regards,

Tim

Hi Tim and Greetings from Nebraska!
Welcome to the IAP Community. I've made a few trips to your neck of the woods. I have had relatives that lived Southwest of you in Kimball. - Dave
Hey Dave,

Thanks, I'm excited to be here. Yeah I've been to Kimball a few times chaperoning youth ski-ing. couple hour drive is all.
Come and look me up the next time your in our neck of the woods. Coffee is always on and the shop is always warm.

Kind regards,

Tim

magpens

Hey Mal,

Yes it works similar to this group, I mentioned it to one of our administrators, and I have not check to see if he responded.
Send me your e-mail to my email and I will chat with him.
His name is Curtis George.
my email is:
timjziegler@gmail.com
don't forget the "j"
thanks and more later then.

Kind regards,

Tim

@Ziegler WoodWork & Spec.

Thanks, Tim. . I have done as you requested. . Will wait to hear back.

Cheers,
Mal

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP. I'm thrilled to possibly see some of your past and future artistry on the Ornamental mills.

Be well.

Welcome to IAP. I'm thrilled to possibly see some of your past and future artistry on the Ornamental mills.

Be well.
thanks Mark, well I'm learning them to and only have a couple actual turnings that I could share. I do a lot of processes in my daily work that I really don't have much for pic. I'm working on learning all the process's that are for play now. Once I start getting some complete I'd sure be willing to share. Plan on doing some simple pens on the LOM's possibly to but most on the lathe.

Kind regards,

Tim

Ok, Someone may need to direct me where to post this but for now its here.
Was too cold to do anything outside today but here is what I did instead.
I used Granadillo (pronouned granideeo) Slim line design from WoodCraft,
using a White Side pen mandrel and trimmer. Turned on my PM4224 B
used mostly my square finisher but started out with the rougher. Sanded up
to 400, then used the white scotch brite style pad, followed by about 8-10 coats
of Craft Supplies USA CA glue and accelerator, then buffed out with the Dr Kirk's 3 step
polish and scratch freee woodturners polish wax.
I gifted my wife with this first pen.
What an awesome time turning this pen. Is he addicted???????????? yes he is!

Kind regards,

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_20220102_161506982.jpg
    IMG_20220102_161506982.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20220102_161225718.jpg
    IMG_20220102_161225718.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220102_161639607 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220102_161639607 (1).jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 68

Be well.
Well below is what can happen and the second one is some of my tests. they are as addicting as the pens.

Attachments

• IMG_20220102_195822551.jpg
    IMG_20220102_195822551.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20220102_200607744.jpg
    IMG_20220102_200607744.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 71

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and Downloadable PDF tutorials for your review.

Here's an Introductory Document for Reference.

Complete List of Forums

Menu of all IAP Library Articles, References, Tips, Tutorials

Pen Kit Suppliers - World Wide

Which Pen Suppliers do you Purchase from? (Poll)

Have Fun!

Top Bottom