New Novice Pen Maker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodkeen

I am new to the Association. I started turning pens about two years ago. I had retired from teaching because of a disability. After going through the busy work of the transition, I was sitting around one day totally bored. I told my wife that if I didn't find something to do, I would just die a slow death. She suggested that since I had always wanted to work with wood, but had not been able to do so while providing a living for my family, that I should consider doing so. A fellow at our church gave a pen and pencil set as a gift when we were attending a Senior Citizens breakfast. I asked him about it, and he turned me onto a local shop where I could learn without cost. I invested in a a beginners kit through Penn State, started turning wood as a hobby. Over the past two years I have given away a lot of my work. With my daughter's prompting, I have started selling some of them. So, I do have a very unsuccessful shop on Etsy, and have sold a few, mostly at church. But, my primary focus remains my enjoyment. I hope to learn more about the craft through groups like this one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Welcome Rodney, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

Top Bottom