New mini contender?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Too bad it's not a VS motor. Still a rockler though, which says something.

My little kung-pow lathe has been suprizingly good to me. Looks about the same plus VS [:)]

Skye

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />That looks a LOT like the PSI TurnCrafter Plus, which I'm sure is a knock-off of another lathe.

You're thinking of the Pro. (Much cheaper than the Rockler)

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I went by Rockler today and looked at the lathe, and I really cannot say anything bad about it. It is a TFEC motor which should help keep the saw dust out of it. I didnt run anything on it, but it was not badly cast or finished, and I have seen quite a few of these types of lathes that had questionable parts/finishes/castings. For 159.00 bucks, I wouldnt hesitate to make it "first timers" lathe to see if they liked turning pens or small items. It is not a VS, you change the speed with the belt......

Skye

Cough*copy*cough....

rock.jpg

PSI has a 3 year warranty too. Whats Rocklers?

DocStram

Dario ..... you are a true woodturner ....you just told us all about that great deal you got on a new lathe ... and here you are still looking at lathes! [:D]

Dario

Al,

Can't claim responsibility for this...found this posted at another forum and thought there will be some people here who might be interested to know what other option is out there in this lathe size/category.

It was posted there too that this is made by WHM (Jet) for Rockler. Whether that is true or not, I cannot confirm.

twoofakind

My father-in-law was looking at lathes and found the "power" brand on EBAY with vs for $99.00 or $125 buy it now. It does not look the same, but it is the same brand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VARIABLE-SPEED-MINI-WOOD-LATHE-TOOLS-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ320043959941QQihZ011QQcategoryZ42282QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I talked him out of it, but it may have been a good deal. Who knows.
Andy

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Before anyone runs out and picks this up, make sure you will be happy with the slowest speed of 760 RPM.
My Rikon is 430 which is slower than the JET and there are times when I wish it was slower.
If you can deal with the slow speed, go for it.

cozee

Ooooo!! Even in retro rat rod flat black!! Now if it came with some red and white pinstriped flames and white walled face plates . . . !!!!

JimGo

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Does hair act as an accelerator?
Not on its own, but when used in combination with the plastic band from the face shield, you can apparently increase the bond strength of CA by at least 5-10 times.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Let's just say if you learned your lesson and stopped squeezing the bottle into your ear to see if it is plugged it will set instantaneously if you get it on lets say your beard just below the ear.
Hair spray ain't got nuthin on this stuff!
After about a week I had most of it picked out and trimmed the beard back.(the beard finally evened out)

chigdon

I looked at this lathe in person and I was not impressed at all. I would definately own a Rikon but I would not be that interested in this.

I don't care who you are, THAT'S funny!!!

LaughingHard.gif

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />
Let's just say if you learned your lesson and stopped squeezing the bottle into your ear to see if it is plugged it will set instantaneously if you get it on lets say your beard just below the ear.
Hair spray ain't got nuthin on this stuff!
After about a week I had most of it picked out and trimmed the beard back.(the beard finally evened out)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom