DNA to wax, how long?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Just took a bunch of blanks out of a DNA soak. Have them air drying a little on a large screen window.

How long should I wait to wax the ends?

Also, we're talking plain wax, like what you could make candles from, right?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Just took a bunch of blanks out of a DNA soak. Have them air drying a little on a large screen window.

How long should I wait to wax the ends?

Also, we're talking plain wax, like what you could make candles from, right?

Skye,

I don't DNA mine, but I wax them right after being cut. I also wax the whole blank. Takes them longer to dry, but I don't get twising that way. I am sure I am doing it wrong as I don't have tons of experience, but I know then end grain is most important. My wife makes candles too. This parafin works just fine.

Fangar

Skye

Well, I dont have enough wax to cover the whole thing or enough newspaper. Soooo, guess I'm just going to have to wax the ends, arange them in the attic till I can do something better with them. The stump had been dead for a few years, so hopefully they're not soaking. I'm just to new to tell, lol

Dario

Depending on the wood, you might not have to wax it at all. Others will also do fine without any treatment at that size. That said, I've encountered a few woods that even after DNA bath, waxing and wrapping...they still cracked! [:0]

Gary Max

What you are wanting is for the wax to stick---once they are dry long enough that they are not wet to touch you should be fine---maybe a hour.

When I DNA pen blanks I let the air dry for about an hour then dump them in a brown paper bag. Roll the bag up tight then place in a second bag. I lose less than 1% this way.

BTW this is what you want https://www.uccoatings.com/prod_anchorseal.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom