New Look

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I don't know if anybody else is having this problem.

Since yesterday, every thread I view, I get a pop-up asking me to accept a certificate for paypal.

Now I know this site needs operating expenses, and it's possible I'm the only one with this problem.

Is there a way to tone down the pop-up a little?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I don't know if anybody else is having this problem.

Since yesterday, every thread I view, I get a pop-up asking me to accept a certificate for paypal.

Now I know this site needs operating expenses, and it's possible I'm the only one with this problem.

That has nothing to do with this site. The paypal logo that is in the header is the same one, and has the same code behind it that was on the sidebar nav pane a few days ago.

What it probably DOES indicate is that your browser does not have the latest root certificates. That Paypal logo comes directly from the paypal site (i.e. there is an image tag on our page with the source pointing to a file at paypal.) When your browser contacts Paypal for that image, it is seeing an expired security certificate at Paypal. (That's normal... they expire from time to time) Paypal's certs are validated by a root certificate that your browser holds. When your browser sees a new cert, it looks to the root cert to validate it. If it does not see validation, it asks you, which is what you're seeing.

Originally posted by jeff
<br />
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I don't know if anybody else is having this problem.

That has nothing to do with this site. The paypal logo that is in the header is the same one, and has the same code behind it that was on the sidebar nav pane a few days ago.

What it probably DOES indicate is that your browser does not have the latest root certificates. That Paypal logo comes directly from the paypal site (i.e. there is an image tag on our page with the source pointing to a file at paypal.) When your browser contacts Paypal for that image, it is seeing an expired security certificate at Paypal. (That's normal... they expire from time to time) Paypal's certs are validated by a root certificate that your browser holds. When your browser sees a new cert, it looks to the root cert to validate it. If it does not see validation, it asks you, which is what you're seeing.

Thanks for your time Jeff.

When I'm asked, I do tell the pop-up to accept the certificate. I tried both a temporary and permanent certificate. It must be something else on my system that is deleting the certificate for some reason.

Jeff
The new layout is okay... I think it takes a little longer for the page to refresh when you go through the posts and threads.
Don't think its me.. I have fairly new computer and seems like the old format refreshed quicker.
Not a problem though.... I have far more time than money anyway.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Jeff
The new layout is okay... I think it takes a little longer for the page to refresh when you go through the posts and threads.
Don't think its me.. I have fairly new computer and seems like the old format refreshed quicker.
Not a problem though.... I have far more time than money anyway.
Wow, sorry to hear that. I'm not sure why that would happen... the code for the menu is cached the first time you hit the site. It actually seems a bit faster on my system. I'm using Firefox. There are two extra thumbnails on the front page now, so there's about 10k more in images.

Anyone else feel it's slower?

keithz

I like the new site a whole lot better now that you combined all the forums into one dropdown menu. I also like that there is a selection to show all forums, just like the old version.

keithz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom