New Guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey,
After looking through the forums I decided I wanted to try pen turning. I do not have much wood working experience but thought it was something I would like to try. Ive done some research but have not found and great, cheap lathes. I don't want to spend more than 150 or 200 dollars for a lathes just to try pen turning out. Ive looked at-
http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-W1704-3-...3SWW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291762403&sr=8-3
Looked good but the reviews said it might not be good for a beginner because of alignment issues.
I also looked at
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922312000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
Looked good but doesnt have great reviews and limited attachments.
Is there a decent cheap lathe like the old wilton on. It was the best I saw but was discontinued when JET bought Wilton. It was only like a 100 dollars I think.
Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Hey,
After looking through the forums I decided I wanted to try pen turning. I do not have much wood working experience but thought it was something I would like to try. Ive done some research but have not found and great, cheap lathes. I don't want to spend more than 150 or 200 dollars for a lathes just to try pen turning out. Ive looked at-
http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-W1704-3-...3SWW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291762403&sr=8-3
Looked good but the reviews said it might not be good for a beginner because of alignment issues.
I also looked at
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922312000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
Looked good but doesnt have great reviews and limited attachments.
Is there a decent cheap lathe like the old wilton on. It was the best I saw but was discontinued when JET bought Wilton. It was only like a 100 dollars I think.
Thanks

First off, welcome to IAP. It's a great place to learn, ask questions and get lots of great ideas.

I think for an inexpensive lathe, the best one for the buck right now is the Rikon 1216 at Woodcraft for 279.99. It is a well built lathe and their customer service is great.

Another thing: the lathe is just a small part of the expense in turning pens. You have chucks, drill bits, drill press or drill chuck, finishes, barrel trimmers, pen kits, bushings, mandrels, sandpaper, turning tools, and on and on.

Good luck!

steeler fan1

Welcome to the site. As Chip already mentioned the lathe is just the tip of the iceberg:). However, you can get find an inexpensive lathe. My first was an Excelsor, got it from Rockler for about $200 on sale. Not a bad little lathe, its variable speed (belt and pulleys) and has an optional extended bed. Watch for Rockler sales, got mine with free shipping. Another option is to watch Craigslist for a used one.

Good luck.
Carl

Rfturner

you may also check out craigslist in your area sometimes you may run accross a good deal. I have the PSI turncrafter pro VS. it is a great lathe to start on. although I always wanted to upgrade to a Jet

CaptG

Welcome to the addiction. Keep an eye on Craigs list. I have seen several nice mini lathes in the $100.00 range. If you can, hold out for one of the better ones, Jet, Rikon, etc. and preferably with a #2 taper set-up. You will be much happier in the long run. Just my $.02

jimbob91577

If you go with new tools, plan on spending at least $500 to get started with about 40-60% going to a reasonable lathe. You'll need several things to get started:
- Eye Protection
- Lathe
- Tools (Gouge is the most verseitile to start out with)
- a way to sharpen your tools (Bench grinder)
- Kits
- Mandrel
- Bushings
- Material
- Glue (5min epoxy would be fine, CA glue also)
- Sand Paper
- Finish
- a way to press your pieces together (I use a squeeze clamp)
- a way to cut your blanks (a simple handsaw would suffice)
- barrel trimmer

You should also consider checking out craigslist, ebay, and your local classifieds for deals on tools and such. You can save some money by going this way.

Andrew Arndts

If you go with new tools, plan on spending at least $500 to get started with about 40-60% going to a reasonable lathe. You'll need several things to get started:
- Eye Protection
- Lathe
- Tools (Gouge is the most verseitile to start out with)
- a way to sharpen your tools (Bench grinder)
- Kits
- Mandrel
- Bushings
- Material
- Glue (5min epoxy would be fine, CA glue also)
- Sand Paper
- Finish
- a way to press your pieces together (I use a squeeze clamp)
- a way to cut your blanks (a simple handsaw would suffice)
- barrel trimmer

You should also consider checking out craigslist, ebay, and your local classifieds for deals on tools and such. You can save some money by going this way.

Lets not forget...
WOOD, hard to turn without it.

Mark

Welcome to the IAP. Don't give up. there are deals out there.

However, if you just want to try it, maybe find your local chapter or local Woodcraft. WC has classes and that would be a great opportunity to try it out and have someone there to give you some guidance.

Thanks, I'll check woodcraft and craigslist. I have a good bit of the tools. I have a borrowed set of tools from an attempt at a spring pole lathe, it work but was to in accurat to be of use. I mainly need the mandrel, and bench grinder. I think I will just go ahead and buy a nicer lathe if I can find a good deal.

Thanks, I'll check woodcraft and craigslist. I have a good bit of the tools. I have a borrowed set of tools from an attempt at a spring pole lathe, it work but was to in accurat to be of use. I mainly need the mandrel, and bench grinder. I think I will just go ahead and buy a nicer lathe if I can find a good deal. I'm from nc.

LeeR

I bought the Rikon 1216 on sale a couple months ago. Very happy with it. I've made 12 pens, and a couple of wine stoppers.

The sale may be over, but Woodcraft was selling the Rikon variable speed model for about what I paid for mine. However, the belt moving is very easy, so I am not too concerned that I didn't get a VS model. (Next year!)

I started buying all the accessories I needed while trying to decide on which lathe to get (mandrel, bushings, special grinding wheel for retrofitting my grinder, micro mesh pads, friction polish, etc., etc.). Several years ago I bought a cheap set of lathe tools at Harbor Freight, but my rain check on a lathe of theirs never came thru. They are HSS, and I've done well with them. I am also learning to grind the tools, so I might as well learn on a cheaper set. I purchased a mini Sorby Spindlemaster, after reading it offers you a gouge and skew in one tool, but found I like my skews better. It may be that they are full sized, which for me gives me a really solid, hefty tool to handle.

You will have fun. I've been doing woodworking for 40+ years, and just now getting into turning. I'm enjoying it immensely.

hewunch

If you are where your user name suggests, I am about an hour south of you. I will try to help you keep an eye out for a good deal. You are welcome to come down and visit and I will let you try out turning on my lathe after Christmas.

dplloyd

I'm a fellow Tiger fan from Charleston. Been transplanted in TX since 1995.

Another thing you could check out are STARTER packages. Look into Penn State Industries and I think Craft Supply USA offer them. You can get a lathe, tools, blanks etc. Enought to get you started to see if you will(and you will) like it. It's a rewarding hobby with wide appeal to folks if you want to sell them. I sell enough to pay for my hobby, put some coin in my pocket and give some to family and friends. YOu are only limited by our imagination with what ou can create.

Welcome to the IAP......................and the addiction:hypnotized::bulgy-eyes:

dplloyd

If there is a Woodcraft store in your area you can also sign up for a pen turning class. Cost for mine was $75. For about 2-3 hours of time you walk away with a pen you made from start to finish. If Woodcraft is not available in your area try some other wood stores. May even be worth a trip to Atlanta or Charlotte for you to find the right store.

Not much to invest to see if you like it.

Top Bottom