New from Georgia, and happy to be on your forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DRAT

Hello to all,

I am a California transplant to the Atlanta area.

Have been playing with wood (as well as trout and bass) for many years.

I am interested in finding pen kits that are not the same 'ol thing. Most of my pens are gifted or donated for raffle. Actually I've not sold one yet, but I'm told I should do so. Who knows, maybe someday I will.

Do any of you know where I can find pen kits that are not the same 'ol same 'ol?

Thanks, and I'm pleased to join your forum.

DrAT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Welcome from Texas! There are a lot of vendors here that sell pen kits. Depends on what you mean by same ol same ol?

broitblat

Welcome.

I'm afraid that in order to make a kit, they have to sell them in enough quantities that they're all same 'ol. It's up to you to do something with it to make it less ordinary :)

-Barry

firewhatfire

Welcome from the far west state of Alabama. The GA forum lists meeting for the GA IAP Chapter. Its a good place to meet a few other like minded nuts.....I mean pen turners.

Phil

ctubbs

Welcome from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. You mention that you have read some of the site, be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Lee K

Welcome from Georgia's left coast!
.........also known as east alabama

so DRAT, what kind of kits have you been using? I am sure there are some unusual kits out there, but I'd think the best way to accomplish something different lies in the creative use of blank material.

Do you have any pictures of what you have been doing?

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hi and welcome, Drat. If you feel ambitious about not making "the same ol same ol" you might want to check out the "Advanced Pen Making" under the "Forums" link on blue bar above.

And here are a few links you might like to browse:
This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

This link will lead you to a great place to keep your eye on things. It's kind of a guide to the who, what, and whatever for of the IAP site.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Jim Smith

Welcome from Conyers, GA. I think that a pen distinctive is one of the bigger challenges of pen making. You can always try going kitless, but that usually involves a metal lathe at some point.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom