Greetings from Tennessee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnR06

Thought I'd stop in here and say 'Hi' before I forget. I'm a newbie... not just to the forums, but to turning of any sort. I mean, the last time I did anything was <ahem> years ago in shop class (and I'm older 'n dirt, just ask the grandkids). I took a basic wood turning (intro) class a couple weeks ago. So now I think I'm ready to try making saw dust. Figured pens was a good place to start (as well as reel seats and handles -- y'see another hobby is making fly rods) since I've been collecting fountain pens for several years. I've seen some really amazing work... some beautiful wood... and I imagine "someday" I may get good enough to not be embarrassed to show some of my work. Not just pens, but bowls, candlesticks, etc.

Now for my question... any suggestions as to some scrap material to do some turning (and where to get it)... just to practice... then I figger I'll be asking about some good blanks and kits. But I gotta practice first.

Thanks!
John

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome John. Like the previous post, just jump right in and start turning. You will get better with each turning and develop new techniques.

Kevin

Hi John from a fellow Knoxvillian. With all the storms we've had recently, just drive down the street and pick up about any kind of wood you want :) Like the others have said, go ahead and jump right in. It's the best way to learn I am finding out.

G1Pens

Welcome.

I started less than a year ago. Bought a bunch of unknown wood blanks to learn with. Out of about 100 I still have 95 of them.

Just jump in and do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom