New, former, older member

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

john l graham

Greetings to all of you. Years ago I left wood turning because of chronic asthma and a move to Hawaii. Well, my asthma is gone and found not to be aggravated by wood turning. I am now in a residence that is bigger than a breadbox and has a garage.
Newly purchased Rikon tools and equipment has me back to turning pens. A plus, there are many wood species here that I like to turn. Also, axis deer antler is plentiful.
Here is my first pen off of the new Rikon lathe. CSUSA chrome cigar from Koa wood blank. CA finish.

Attachments

• 20210308_151020.jpg
    20210308_151020.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

John:
Certainly looks like you haven't forgotten a thing, your craft is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Just out of curiosity, what might be the most native tree species?

john l graham

John:
Certainly looks like you haven't forgotten a thing, your craft is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Just out of curiosity, what might be the most native tree species?
I am still learning about Hawaiian trees and wood types. The ancient royalty used Kou wood and secondly Milo wood to make their calabash bowls for food. Koa, acacia Koa, is the most known native wood. Ohio trees are also considered native and in danger of being wiped out. They are very important to the local ecosystem.
I am sure there are others but most can be found throughout the Polynesian Islands. Many were brought here from Australia as well.

john l graham

I am still learning about Hawaiian trees and wood types. The ancient royalty used Kou wood and secondly Milo wood to make their calabash bowls for food. Koa, acacia Koa, is the most known native wood. Ohio trees are also considered native and in danger of being wiped out. They are very important to the local ecosystem.
I am sure there are others but most can be found throughout the Polynesian Islands. Many were brought here from Australia as well.
Ohia not ohio.

Wmcullen

Beautiful pen and fascinating thread. Today I've learned about Hawaiian trees. (And had to look up what a "swagman" is.... from Peter's post earlier.) Just another day of discovery on IAP!

hewunch

Greetings to all of you. Years ago I left wood turning because of chronic asthma and a move to Hawaii. Well, my asthma is gone and found not to be aggravated by wood turning. I am now in a residence that is bigger than a breadbox and has a garage.
Newly purchased Rikon tools and equipment has me back to turning pens. A plus, there are many wood species here that I like to turn. Also, axis deer antler is plentiful.
Here is my first pen off of the new Rikon lathe. CSUSA chrome cigar from Koa wood blank. CA finish.
Glad to see you back. Beautiful as always

howsitwork

Nice work and glad to hear your health has improved.

Now IS the time to invest in a decent filtered air helmet to keep it like that ! Would love to try out some of that timber for its magnificent grain.

Top Bottom