New Find

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

I have a sort of "mini museum" in my office, for unusual or spectacular blanks, or chunks of wood. I found this one a few days ago, at night and didn't see the full extent of its figure. I just thought it was a curly blackwood blank. I've had a few that had a few birdseye clusters in them, but not as unique as this (to me). I put it on my shelf, then took it down to look at it today (I know I'm not the only one who does this), when I discovered how really unique this blank is. I'll paste in the first pic, and see if you can see the figure. I'll post a 2nd pic, that shows the figure in the paper-thin sapwood. It blew my mind.

Have any of you ever seen anything like this in blackwood?

20071121505_DSCN0095-1.jpg

OK, try and guess what type of figure it is. The answer will be in my next post.

Thanks for playing along,
Rob

I had to add the word "figure" in the challenge, as my wife didn't get it. She knows a little about wood, from living with this wood nut.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Hmmmm...could you be more specific about where you're keeping that blank? Or at least where it will be on Saturday? [:D]

BigRob777

OK Jim,
You've forced me to break my word. OK, the next post will have the pic. I rephrased the challenge, to make more sense. Oh and you will see it Saturday. I'm keeping it by my fierce guard dog's cage.[;)] It's on top of my curly katalox and my curly pink ivory and next to a spectacular spalted sweet gum blank I got in a mutual gifting of blanks with Bill (Ilikewood), and some sagebrush trunk from Bud Duffy, with my first pen in the hat pen. I won't bore you all with the whole list.
Rob
BTW, none of it will ever be for sale, sorry.

BigRob777

Dario,
I wish I could say something, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. I started your pen (I finally had a good back day, in which I didn't have to catch up on orders). Thanks again, for the leeway.

Anyway, here's the pic:
20071122269_DSCN0097.jpg
<br />

It's pomelle.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />OK Jim,
You've forced me to break my word. OK, the next post will have the pic. I rephrased the challenge, to make more sense. Oh and you will see it Saturday. I'm keeping it by my fierce guard dog's cage.[;)] It's on top of my curly katalox and my curly pink ivory and next to a spectacular spalted sweet gum blank I got in a mutual gifting of blanks with Bill (Ilikewood), and some sagebrush trunk from Bud Duffy, with my first pen in the hat pen. I won't bore you all with the whole list.
Rob
BTW, none of it will ever be for sale, sorry.

Ouch, I thought you got the stabilized spalted sweet gum blank from me. Bill (Ilikewood) has enough spectacular blanks, don't give him credit for this one. [;)][:(][;)]

BigRob777

William,
Ouch, sorry. I was trading blanks with you and Bill at about the same time and I read your letter, which was signed William. I even looked up an e-mail from Bill, which had a mention of some true Lignum Vitae, that he had sent me, for my museum and I got them confused. Sometimes I just CRS(that's stuff[:D]). Well, at least you guys have the same first name. It wasn't a total brain fart.

Anyway, thank you both for your contributions to my museum. I was also working on a trade with a guy from Yahoo penturners and it got lost in the Christmas confusion. I have to dig that one up.

Bill,
Amoeba huh? I've never turned an amoeba. [:D] I know, sharp tool, light cuts! You probably have to stabalize them too.

I think that some day, I'll turn stuff with my museum blanks, then put them in a case.
Rob

BigRob777

Becca,
Well, this kind of replaced the gloats forum, so it is supposed to make you a little bit jealous. You should post the pen you made from the sold-out pomelle bubinga, or can I (post it). That'll make folks jealous.[:)]
Rob

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rob,

No harm, no foul.[8D] I actually am honored that one of my blanks gets mentioned in the same sentence with Bill's stuff!

As far as turning down that piece of awesome blackwood, just polish it as cut and keep in the museum. I for one would not be able to put a skew to it.

BigRob777

William,
OK, I'll use a gouge. Eventually, I may make a sierra out of half of it, but that's a long way off. I know what you mean, I've drooled over Bill's cocobolo and almost bought some, even though I'm allergic.
Rob

toolcrazy

It is hard to part with a fine blank when part of it will end up on the floor of the shop. I have 4 pieces of Red Morrell I can't seem to even get it to my shop. I keep trying, but it still sits on my desk. I keep telling myself I will turn it when I become a better turner. This way it justifies sitting on my desk. What if I screw it up, what if............? I'll convice myself, one of these days. Just the right pen kit just may do it. [:)]

wood-of-1kind

<br />
I think that some day, I'll turn stuff with my museum blanks, then put them in a case.
Rob

Rob, I'm always willing to help. Given that you are 'space challenged' for your blanks, may I suggest that you send them up north to me for safe storage. I'll do this at no charge to you[}:)]

-Peter-[:)]

BigRob777

Steve,
Yup, that's pretty much where I'm at. I've only turned about 3 dozen pens, or less. I have an amboyna blank and well, there are about 20 "extreme" blanks that are awaiting a higher skill level and nicer kit. I'm on my first successful (I hope) baron. I was working on it, when a slice of the material (which I'm allergic to) the size of my pupil landed in my eye and immediately worked its way on top, so I could barely get to it. But I digress; I'm getting to the point at which I'm going to tackle some of the goodies.

These are blackwood with 2 branch knots (I think), incredibly curly koa, amboyna burl, snakewood, manzanita burl sl, curly mango, inlace, curly mesquite, curly purpleheart, x-cut kingwood sl, very curly maple, sappy red mallee, two project blanks to be disclosed later, macadamia, brazilian rosewood, and green dyed red palm (home dyed). They're sitting on a large red mallee burl cap, that'll be cut in the spring. These are just a sampling from one of my 4 boxes. I have enough to keep me busy for years. Some of these are gifts, some are from trades, some are test projects and others are 2nds.
2007112191731_DSCN0105.jpg
<br />

BigRob777

Peter,
You must have posted while I was composing that last response. I'd love to comply, but you have so much on your hands, I couldn't impose.[:D] Now if you really wanted to help, you'd come down and help me build my blank cases (book cases for blanks, that go on the wall, like enclosed shelves). Once I get my turning shop built, I'll have room to do some flatwork. I'm tired of building things on my table saw.[:(!]
Rob

wood-of-1kind

<br /> Now if you really wanted to help, you'd come down and help me build my blank cases (book cases for blanks... [:(!]
Rob

Rob, that would entail W-O-R-K and I can not engage in foul 4-lettered words. Sorry.[:eek:)]

-Peter-

emackrell

<br />
Some of these are gifts, some are from trades, some are test projects and others are 2nds.
<br />

So Rob..... how much of this gorgeous stuff are you bringing to Show and Tell at Bubbasville tomorrow?

We won't try to steal it, honest....

cheers Eileen [8D]

BigRob777

Eileen,
Well, as you used to be a chaplain, I guess I can risk it.[:D] I'll bring them, if you want to see them up close. I might be bringing a baron, if I can ever get it finished. I'm on day two with it. See you in 12 hours.
Rob

ilikewood

Hey Rob, I just noticed the other responses on this topic. Cav is right, the sweet gum is his. The turning block of LV and some asian stuff was what was in my package.

Thanks for the Cocobolo compliments guys!![:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom